Evo VIII Mods - Need help

Guest stvbreal

Guest stvbreal

DSMers out there I need your asdvice. I want to add some mods to my Evo and need a little insight. Planning on getting:

Exhaust, intake, BOV, maybe biger Turbo, gauges, etc.

Got any ideas on what manufacturer I should go with for these products? I'm new to the Mitsu scene and need a little help.

-Steve

http://home.columbus.rr.com/idkimagez/evo8back.jpg

Each manufacturer have different styles of exhausts. There are a few characteristics to everyone. Those characteristics are ...

Style: Very in number/size of exhaust tips, muffler shape, angle at which the muffler hangs on the rear of the car and angle at which the exhaust tip/s are cut.

Performance: The bigger the piping and the fewer the bends, the better. On a turbo car you cannot go too big on piping, but you do reach a point of diminishing returns. There may be a couple of exhausts that split from one larger pipe into two smaller pipes.Some exhausts are better matched to stock turbos, some are better for upgraded turbos. If you go too large on the downpipe/exhaust with an internally wastegated turbo, you can get boost creep.

Sound: The larger the piping and muffler, the louder it will be. Some exhaust have a lower pitch than others. The Greddy SP series are pretty quiet, as are the Apexi WS. I'm not sure if they offer those exhausts for your car or not.

Cost: Exhausts made out of polished stainless steel will cost more than others made out of cheaper materials. Larger piping will generally lead to higher cost as well, I think Apex-i makes 3.75 inch piping and supposedly they are the only company in Japan that can mandrel bend pipes that large. A one piece exhaust will probably cost more than one that is a two piece, and will cost more to ship.

You should prioritize these traits to help decide what exhaust you should purchase. You realy can't go wrong with any of them as far as quality goes, but you do get what you pay for. Let us know what you are looking for, and then we may be better able to help you. smile.gif

Guest stvbreal
Sweet, thanks for the info. I defnitely want performance over looks. I would rather have the most free flowing exhaust rather than one that looks cool and sounds loud, for sure. Any thoughts on BOV's and Intakes?

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by R-magic:

Check out Rys Millen Racing they have a 3 in downpipe for your new evo. www.rmrproducts.com

714-847-2158. I'm sure they you can find other things there. Good luck!

Very nice. That's gonna be a purchase. Thanks for the link. :D

My rankings on BOV's, this is strictly based on performance...and this isn't a complete list of all that are available, just the ones I'm familiar with.

1. HKS SSQV

2. Blitz DD

3. Greddy Type S

12. Apex-i Twin Chamber (can you tell I realy hate this one?)

Look for the Apex-i GT Spec, the Apex-i N1 Dual (not sure if they have the Dual for your car), the Blitz Nurspec and maybe the HKS Dragger II...at a quick glance (with research for other cars as well) those are my picks for best performance.

EDIT: I forgot to ask you, do you have any idea which parts are interchangeable with the JDM Evolution VII? I'm sure the emissions equipment is different, you realy should try to find a message board for other EVO owners (if there is one).

[ 13. March 2003, 12:39 PM: Message edited by: bigbabyjesus ]

hey ricky quick question, just wondering what makes the hks super sequential your number one verus the greddy type s, and what do you use? i am just curious, i am getting a turboset up and am in the process of buying all the parts right now, and a bov was coming up tongue.gif

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Look for the Apex-i GT Spec, the Apex-i N1 Dual (not sure if they have the Dual for your car), the Blitz Nurspec and maybe the HKS Dragger II...at a quick glance (with research for other cars as well) those are my picks for best performance.

EDIT: I forgot to ask you, do you have any idea which parts are interchangeable with the JDM Evolution VII? I'm sure the emissions equipment is different, you realy should try to find a message board for other EVO owners (if there is one).

Great info, thanks. I thought the Apexi BOV was the best out, was gonna get it, now I'm thinking twice with your info.

I jooined Evolutionm.net to get some info but all these guys are a bunch of tools. The way they compete on who knows the most gets old. I just want to know what's best. So I figured I'd ask some locals instead. ;)

I've got more usefull info from you guys than I have in the past month on Evolutionm.net :D

Guest badmuthrfkr

Steve, the A'pexi twin chamber is trash.

I prefer the sound of an HKS Type R(hard to find), GReddy Type R, and HKS Racing Type II. The HKS Super Sequential is great, but everyone and their mom has it. My friend's mom has it on her Talon.

;)

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by Hua:

Steve, the A'pexi twin chamber is trash.

I prefer the sound of an HKS Type R(hard to find), GReddy Type R, and HKS Racing Type II. The HKS Super Sequential is great, but everyone and their mom has it. My friend's mom has it on her Talon.

;)

The HKS SS, is sound adjustable? Also, is that feature (sound adjustment) degrading the function of the BOV?

Guest fooked
I'm running Thermal R&D exhaust. I have all the basic stuff done like upgraded UICP, downpipe, test pipe (for off road use only of course :rolleyes: ). I am currently using an Injen intake and air filter. I also have the HKS SSQBOV. That thing is freakin loud. I've heard people with the TurboXS bov's, and they are loud, but it sounds like someone sneezing. Mine is vented to atmosphere and it's freakin scary. I love it. I scared the sh*t out of a dog walking down the street the other day. The HKS is also fun when driving by Petsmart up at Easton. :D Let me know if I can help at all.

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by EvilEvo:

The HKS SS, is sound adjustable? Also, is that feature (sound adjustment) degrading the function of the BOV?

You can get different inserts on the super sequential. The gold insert is for the standard, higher pitched sound, and the purple is for a lower pitched/frequency sound.

Pretty much every DSM/Mitsu I have ever seen has the super sequential. It does sound cool though. Howard has one on his Supra, you can listen to it on his car.

Originally posted by B dubs:

hey ricky quick question, just wondering what makes the hks super sequential your number one verus the greddy type s, and what do you use? i am just curious, i am getting a turboset up and am in the process of buying all the parts right now, and a bov was coming up tongue.gif

The HKS is a pull type BOV as opposed to a push type like all of the other BOV's. By design it cannot leak at high boost or at idle/off throttle.This is most important on car's that use a MAF meter, as it will minimize the poor driveability characteristics from venting metered air to atmosphere (HKS does have a recirculation adapter availble now though!) The Blitz DD is a very nice choice as well if you want something that not nearly as many people have.

I am using a Greddy Type-S right now, I realy like the sound but it leaks. :mad:

Hua, there is a reason the HKS is popular. ;) Oh and if you wait to hear Howards BOV, you will probably only have one chance if you weren't out last weekend....he only drives the car like twice a year. tongue.gif

EvilEvo, if I read correctly on that other board your car came with 3" exhaust piping, so I don't know how much of a gain you would see with an exhaust.

Guest stvbreal
I'm gettin some great info on here. Thanks again guys. I just want to make sure that when I do this I want to do it right. Your right about the exhaust by the way. But I think I could get a substantial increase in HP with a few mods here and there. I got about 3 G's to spend, I think it's doable, ya think? Maybe?

I've read the biggest power robber in the the U.S. spec evo's is the ecu. They can get 30-40 additional ponies in the engine management. But i assume you can get another 10-15 hp just by getting rid of the downpipe. And spool the turbo up quicker!

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by R-magic:

I've read the biggest power robber in the the U.S. spec evo's is the ecu. They can get 30-40 additional ponies in the engine management. But i assume you can get another 10-15 hp just by getting rid of the downpipe. And spool the turbo up quicker!

Yep, I heard the same thing. Ralliart is supposed to have a chip that will increase HP to 350 and it is covered by Mitsu warranty. Still waiting to hear more from Ricart. They were the ones that told me about it, beleive or not. ;)

GT turbos have ball bearings, so they are better, although they will be more expensive than a regular garrett turbo.

Its my personal opinion that you should wait to mod you car. Not for the sake of milege, yet for the sake of reliability. Its easy to mod a car, but its more difficult to mod one and keep it reliable. I would wait and see what performance items Rhys Millin, Ralliart, RRE, Vishnu, etc are going to be releasing before jumping on one. For example, the WRX has several piggy back computers from TurboXS and others, and I am sure the first one that was released isn't the best. In the mean time, I would get an exhaust and a nice electronic boost controller (you can always sell it later). From there you can most likely max out the injectors before running into problems. -- must be nice having a fmic from the factory :eek:

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by controler:

GT turbos have ball bearings, so they are better, although they will be more expensive than a regular garrett turbo.

Its my personal opinion that you should wait to mod you car. Not for the sake of milege, yet for the sake of reliability. Its easy to mod a car, but its more difficult to mod one and keep it reliable. I would wait and see what performance items Rhys Millin, Ralliart, RRE, Vishnu, etc are going to be releasing before jumping on one. For example, the WRX has several piggy back computers from TurboXS and others, and I am sure the first one that was released isn't the best. In the mean time, I would get an exhaust and a nice electronic boost controller (you can always sell it later). From there you can most likely max out the injectors before running into problems. -- must be nice having a fmic from the factory :eek:

You gotta good point there. :D

My first mods would be gauges--a real boost gauge and an EGT to start off. Then I'd replace all flexible piping with metal ones and throw on a test pipe while you're at it. From there, free up the intake and exhaust and only crank the boost if you've got the fuel to match :D

Jamie

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by BOOST_ME:

My first mods would be gauges--a real boost gauge and an EGT to start off. Then I'd replace all flexible piping with metal ones and throw on a test pipe while you're at it. From there, free up the intake and exhaust and only crank the boost if you've got the fuel to match :D

Jamie

Sounds like a plan. Must get a boost gauge and EGT, didn't come with a boost gauage, still trying to figure out why they would do that.

Oh yeah, I know why. So they can charge you 460 bucks for their chepa ass dealer add-on. Have you seen taht setup? Here it is, it's cheap.

Cheap Ass Gauges - Not to mention the location

This is what I would like to get.

Phatty Pillar - I don't need three pods though

Be very careful when modding this car since Mitsu. is going to be strict about waranty. BOOSTME seems to have the best suggestions so far, you should listen to him he is very knowledgable about DSM's. As far as a blow off valve that should not be on your mind for a while yet. I'm not sure if Mitsu. used one similar to the first or second gens., but if it's like the first gen. DSM's you will not need to replace it at all. I will be running my stock one well into the 11's and many others have run them into the 10's and even 9's. Do a little more research on your car to find out what it shares with the DSM's and you will be able to find out what will and won't be needed to go fast. One thing for sure is that you will not need to replace your turbo for quite a while. You have a bigger turbo than a first gen DSM which will run into the 12's with supporting mods. Good luck with your EVO.

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by SLW94TSI:

Be very careful when modding this car since Mitsu. is going to be strict about waranty. BOOSTME seems to have the best suggestions so far, you should listen to him he is very knowledgable about DSM's. As far as a blow off valve that should not be on your mind for a while yet. I'm not sure if Mitsu. used one similar to the first or second gens., but if it's like the first gen. DSM's you will not need to replace it at all. I will be running my stock one well into the 11's and many others have run them into the 10's and even 9's. Do a little more research on your car to find out what it shares with the DSM's and you will be able to find out what will and won't be needed to go fast. One thing for sure is that you will not need to replace your turbo for quite a while. You have a bigger turbo than a first gen DSM which will run into the 12's with supporting mods. Good luck with your EVO.

Thanks bro. Yeah, BOOSTME knows his stuff. Definitely will take his advice, and others on here as well.

I am trying to do some research on the Evo but it seems a bit early since hardly anything is available. But thanks to you guys I am finding a lot more than I would on my own. I've already found out from you guys that there is already a few things available for the Evo. ;)