Evo VIII Mods - Need help

Guest stvbreal

Originally posted by controler:

GT turbos have ball bearings, so they are better

Honestly, that's a pretty controversial assertion. The GT turbos do have a higher efficiency over earlier Garrett designs due to revised wheel designs, but to claim that they're better due to ball bearing center sections is not a statement that I've seen proven (outside of a bunch of marketing nonsense, that is ;) ). That ball bearing center section adds a lot of $$ to the bottom line, and to the "impress your buddies" factor, but I like to see real world performance results for my dollahs. ;)

----------

On the issue of the BOV, picking a BOV for the sound it makes is rice boy extreme, IMO. smile.gif The HKS designs do have a real advantage in terms of not leaking, which is what moved it to the top of my list as well (everyone knows that I'm NO HKS cultist. lol). Boost actually helps hold the valve shut, as opposed to a conventional BOV (like the Greddy Type S), which just uses spring pressure. Like Hua, I've heard very little positive about the Apex-i BOV.

If money is no object on exhaust, I'd go for the lightest one possible. If they're available for your Evo, check out the HKS Titanium Hyper (not too bad on $$, really), or the Ultra Pimp graemlins/bubbrubb.gif Veilside Titanium. Those things weigh next to nothing.

If you want power without a lot of noise, the Greddy exhausts are nice choices also.

Guest badmuthrfkr

Only downside to GReddy exhausts is that none of them are available in stainless steel.

My #1 pick would have to be an exhaust from JIC Magic.

They already have systems out for the Lancer Evo VIII.

Full titanium canister and piping MSRP: $1,240

Full titanium canister and SS piping MSRP: $955

The list goes on and on, you can get on their site to check them out for yourself.

Personally I love the look of the torched blue tip.

You can check them out yourself at http://www.jic-magic.com

Originally posted by Master Yota:

Honestly, that's a pretty controversial assertion. The GT turbos do have a higher efficiency over earlier Garrett designs due to revised wheel designs, but to claim that they're better due to ball bearing center sections is not a statement that I've seen proven (outside of a bunch of marketing nonsense, that is ;) ). That ball bearing center section adds a lot of $$ to the bottom line, and to the "impress your buddies" factor, but I like to see real world performance results for my dollahs. ;)

[/QB]

Your probably right. I only said the GT turbos were better to make an overall judgement. After all something more expensive is always better, right? heh.. Real-world data is always important to me when purchasing something, because there is a value to everything and purchasing something that is more expensive might be better but is it good enough to warrant the extra money...?

Guest fooked
What kind of boost gauge comes stock in an Evo? The ones in the 2g's were absolute junk, but my bosses WRX has the factory boost gauge and it seems to do pretty well.

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by fOOked:

What kind of boost gauge comes stock in an Evo? The ones in the 2g's were absolute junk, but my bosses WRX has the factory boost gauge and it seems to do pretty well.

The stock boost gauge sucks. Also, it's an add-on. It doesn't come with the car when you get it.

Plus they want way too much for the 3 gauge cluster, 460 bucks.

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by Hua:

Only downside to GReddy exhausts is that none of them are available in stainless steel.

My #1 pick would have to be an exhaust from JIC Magic.

They already have systems out for the Lancer Evo VIII.

Full titanium canister and piping MSRP: $1,240

Full titanium canister and SS piping MSRP: $955

The list goes on and on, you can get on their site to check them out for yourself.

Personally I love the look of the torched blue tip.

You can check them out yourself at http://www.jic-magic.com

Would it be better to replace the canister rather than the whole exhaust system? I remember someone on here reminding me that I already have 3" pipework. Would replacing the canister even make a difference? - in HP, throttle response

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by Jelloman457:

How about a Shinny new Shift Knob. Jk

-clark

I was thinking a neon license plate frame. Should get me about 5 to 7hp there. LOL :D:D

Be wary of the HKS Titanium exhausts, I know of at least one that the only part of it thats Titanium is the exhaust tip....JIC Magic is good stuff as well, forgot about them.

The primary benefit of ball bearing turbos is found at road courses under passing manuevers, not at the drag stip. The cost probably doesn't justify the means if you just want to go faster in a straight line. I would love to see a dyno comparison between a floating bearing and ball bearing turbo with all other specs being the same. Hopefully Renner will see this, maybe he has something to add about ball bearing turbos.

Guest stvbreal
Originally posted by Jelloman457:

5 to 7. Bullshit try 30 to 50 to the wheels. :D jk. I saw an evo they are fat titties dude, nice pick.

-clark

HAHAHA :D

Thanks man. It's kinda strange driving it still, much different than a Z06. tongue.gif