A question for the DSM guys

Guest Brian_94TSi

Guest Brian_94TSi
In the spring I will be getting my new 3" downpipe made and I am thinking about getting a tubular O2 housing made and venting the wastegate to the atmosphere. Will this provide any real HP gain or will it just be an obnoxious noisemaker? I have heard many different opinions on this and just wanted to see what you guys thought.

Guest badmuthrfkr

Open wastegate will have a neat sound, not obnoxious though.

I can't see it having any performance benefit as it just dumps into the atmosphere as oppsed to back into the exhaust.

If you went back into the exhaust, you can hear the turbo more.

smile.gif

Ahhh... One of many ongoing debates that I have yet to see/hear of any real proof for either side. Granted if you're talking smack-daddy turbo, you'd probably benefit from the external dump. However, for daily driving, you probably won't even notice the difference in backpressure. Nothing quite like the sound at WOT though ;)

Jamie

Guest Brian_94TSi

Well, I'm most likely going to run it back into the exhaust but I was just wondering if I could gain anything from having it open.

Thanks for the input guys ;)

Guest relvinnian

If you are going to have this tubular 02 housing done, there is no reason NOT to have it dumped externally, other than sound. The performance gains have been PROVEN. In an application like this, when using a small turbine/wheel, and relatively in-efficient cast manifold, the effects on power will miniscule. On a setup with D-port exhaust, and a high-lift duration exhaust cam, the engine is much more susceptible to changes in backpressure.

My main point is this: If you are doing the custom exhaust anyways, why not? It will sound badass, and will still be efficient if you decide to upgrade to a larger mitsu exhaust housing and clipped wheel.

I have my wastegate vented to air and although I can't say it really gave me a performance gain, I will say that the sound it makes at w.o.t. is pretty damn loud and distinct. If you want to check it out come out on Friday night sometime and i'll let you check mine out. I have a dark green tsi just like yours.

Alot of the guys who have installed the VP 2.5 O2 Housing w/ Dump have seen an average of 2 tenths in the 1/4 gain. The theory..being that that the WG gasses are not forced to be re-introduced with the exhaust flow, allow for more exhaust flow overall.

Just a theory mind you..I got mine waiting to go on soon too ;)

Just be sure that you can stand the sound of an open wastegate. I understand the benefits, but for my car, I just know that I can't take it, so I've chosen to route mine back to the downpipe.

Other people like the sound, so if you do, go for it. smile.gif