Trailer Axle Hub

nurkvinny

Ok, seems my car trailer was introduced to one of New Jersey's finest foot-deep pot holes early this morning. The result was that the weld that held the hub to the axle tube broke, and the wheel/tire/bearing assembly now has a new home somewhere in NJ.

I need to find somewhere local to buy either a whole axle (hub-to-hub), or buy a new hub and have it welded back onto the axle. The length from the inside of each hub is about 91".

Any help is much appreciated.

Broken pic -

http://www.columbusracing.com/pics/vincepics/Broke%20.JPG

Other side -

http://www.columbusracing.com/pics/vincepics/Hub%20.JPG

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Ok, seems my car trailer was introduced to one of New Jersey's finest foot-deep pot holes early this morning. The result was that the weld that held the hub to the axle tube broke, and the wheel/tire/bearing assembly now has a new home somewhere in NJ.

I need to find somewhere local to buy either a whole axle (hub-to-hub), or buy a new hub and have it welded back onto the axle. The length from the inside of each hub is about 91".

Any help is much appreciated.

Broken pic -

http://www.columbusracing.com/pics/vincepics/Broke%20.JPG

Other side -

http://www.columbusracing.com/pics/vincepics/Hub%20.JPG

I would replace the whole axle. What capacity do you need(3000k, 4000K, etc)? I have some hook ups on axles and trailer parts?

3,000lb would be plenty.

I have a friend trying to track down the guy we bought the trailer from to verify what lb axle the trailer has.

I have found a few axles for sale(including hubs), but they are all too narrow. I need to do some more measuring, but I need one roughly 90/91" wide (between hubs).

The trailer is a dual-axle with 5-lug hubs. Any help/contacts would be great!

thanks,

Vince

Hmmmm. The pothole was in The Bronx, and we lost the wheel somewhere on the Brooklyn-Queens Expressway. We only found out it was actually missing in New Jersey when we finally stopped.

I never wanna hear anyone bitch about Columbus roads ever. They hold no candle to the roads of New York City.

I'll hit ya up at work, Vince.

Originally posted by Got Torque.:

I never wanna hear anyone bitch about Columbus roads ever. They hold no candle to the roads of New York City.

I could have told ya that. Driving to NYC makes you appreciate Ohio

Here,

smokes are cheap

can't buy alcohol in PA, except at a STATE liquor agency (and they close around 8pm)

can't smoke in a restaurant in NYC

our roads are KICKASS

can't find an open gas station in Jersey at night

no waffle houses, ANYWHERE

there was more stuff to my list, but i can't seem to recall them anymore.

Oh yeah, and to add some value to this post. I've got a ford 9" axle off a 79 blazer sitting around somewhere if that would help you out

i would really think about having the other hubs welded when you fix that one. from the pic the fresh rust is the only place the weld was holding on at and that dosent look like much. but the pics may just make it look that way. at least you guys made it back in one piece.

Spent my lunch hour at the TSC.

Their widest axle (between spring mounts) is about 73". It's 3500lb, and has the correct lug pattern. I'll measure tonight, but I'm guessing my trailer is around 85" between the spring purches.

My plan is to buy their largest one, and have extra tubing welded in to extend the axle width. You guys see any issues with this if it's done by somebody that knows what he's doing with a welder?

thanks...