Wireless issues

Renner

Ok, so I have a Linksys wireless system for my laptop here. I have my desktop pc on it too and have no connection problems with it as I am using the regular old RJ45 cable for the desktop, it is only the wireless portion for my laptop that has problems.

I have the network setup with a specified name, lets call it “LAN1”, and I have the encryption stuff all setup as well. The connection works fine, but about every 5-10 minutes a little window pops up saying that “more then one wireless networks are available”, soon after that I can no longer connect to the web.

So I click on the window, and my wireless network connection property window opens up. Another wireless network named “wireless” is now shown under the available networks. My network “LAN1” is no longer available (has a red x over it), and I am of course still no longer connected to the web. I hit the refresh button 2-3 times in the wireless properties window, until my network “LAN1” is available again. I can then continue on my way for the next 5-10 minutes or so until it all happens again.

I moved the Linksys router to a different spot on top of my desk instead of under, and I would say I am probably only about 15 feet away within direct sight of it, and it sill acts the same. The only networks listed under my prefered networks is the one I made, "LAN1".

Why does it keep booting me from my wireless connection, and is that why it is then looking for and finding the 2nd network that isn’t mine? Thanks in advance.

Try unplugging your router and seeing if you can pick up another network. I've personally never ran into another network with my wirless connection, so I don't know how the two would conflict. Also, you might want to go to Lynksys' website and download new firmware for the router and new drivers for your wirless card.

I had this problem as well. What I had to do is just use the MAC filtering under the wireless tab. I tried using WEP and it never worked right, wouldn't connect or anything. I had the SAME symptoms as you and I just now use MAC filtering and it works like a champ.

If you don't know you can get the mac for a built in wireless card by going to start>run type in cmd hit enter. Type ipconfig/all and get the physical address off the wireless section. If it is a pcmia card then pull it out and copy the mac off of it into the field.

If you have anymore questions just ask.

UPDATE:

Brett I just reflashed my firmware again and I now am able to get WEP working and allow me to connect to the internet. You might want to troy flashing the firmware and seeing if it will work, sometimes it doesn't load correctly.

[ 23. March 2004, 07:13 AM: Message edited by: GRN96WS6 ]