Subwoofer/Amp Installation help

mjeosu27

Just bought a new subwoofer and amplifier. Sub is a 10" Punch HE 4 ohm and the amp is a Sony Xplod 2-Channel 480W max.

Everything seems to be installed correctly, the amp powers on, the subwoofer plays, but is barely noticeable. As soon as I turn up the level on the amp, it freaks out and the subwoofer beats repeatedly very loud, until I turn it back down.

Any ideas? Catch me on instant messenger, mjeosu27 or call the cell 271-2731.

Thanks in advance,

Mike

• 2 weeks later...
Guest Crucial Conflict
I'm not no stero tech but check the speaker to see how many Ohms it needs to run on, and then bridge your amp or whatever to feed the same amount of ohms it needs to run 100%.. If your runn'n 2 speakers make sure it's on 2-channel operation..

Not sure what the problem is but speaker polarity will not matter. Bridging an amp puts the amplifiers in series in turn making them 'see' half the impedance of the sub. Meaning if he had a 4ohm sub the amp. will 'see' this as a 2ohm sub. I would think that his amp can do 2ohm's fine but don't know about that specific amp. At any rate if it tried it would maybe power for a while then go into thermal shut down, which it doesn't sound like it's doing.

I'd try to find someone with a known spare sub and amp lying around and eliminate those as the problem (well make double check the wiring first, but I'm sure you've already done that). I have an amp and sub that aren't installed in anything I could come over with, but they were used and I never hooked them up. I'm sure they work, just not 110% sure.

Hit me up on AIM if you haven't taken care of this already.

Guest badmuthrfkr
Originally posted by My name... is Neo:

Not sure what the problem is but speaker polarity will not matter. Bridging an amp puts the amplifiers in series in turn making them 'see' half the impedance of the sub. Meaning if he had a 4ohm sub the amp. will 'see' this as a 2ohm sub. I would think that his amp can do 2ohm's fine but don't know about that specific amp. At any rate if it tried it would maybe power for a while then go into thermal shut down, which it doesn't sound like it's doing.

I'd try to find someone with a known spare sub and amp lying around and eliminate those as the problem (well make double check the wiring first, but I'm sure you've already done that). I have an amp and sub that aren't installed in anything I could come over with, but they were used and I never hooked them up. I'm sure they work, just not 110% sure.

Hit me up on AIM if you haven't taken care of this already.

You mean parallel, not series.

smile.gif