clutch question

recklessOP

not sure if it's a problem or not, but here goes... btw, the stang is the first stick shift car i've owned, and the first stick shift car i've had the chance to really mess around with, so i'm a manual transmission n00b...

for starters, i've drag raced the car quite a bit during the summer at the strip, slipping the clutch a bit to get me off the line better, and the car sees plenty of stop and go driving around town. the clutch is a factory original piece, and i've put 14,000 miles on the car since it was new...

anyways, here's my "problem." when i slowly let the clutch out and start moving forward, the car doesn't get going very smoothly. if i let up on the pedal enough to get the car moving a bit without completely letting up, the car hops forward, like the clutch is biting and slipping over and over again. the clutch also seems to slip a bit under hard driving, but i'm not sure. the hopping problem seems to get better as i drive the car a bit, but it's starting to bother me. it's been doing this for quite a while too. i'm not sure if i just trashed the clutch, it's supposed to do this, or something else is wrong. btw, my car already received a new transmission tailshaft under warranty after problems with the rear seal and driveshaft yoke, so i wouldn't rule out bigger drivetrain problems. that was before i started driving the car hard, btw...

i just want to get any problems ironed out while the car is still under warranty. i've already had the midpipes, a seatbelt, and the radio replaced under warranty. the car is a bit of a lemon, but i do like it, and the dealer has been pretty good about fixing any problems i've had.

one other thing. another concern is the tranny itself, and this is probably nothing. whenever i downshift into 1st, and i mean from any speed, be it 30 or 5 mph, i get a TON of gear whine from the transmission, with the pedal pushed in. i don't have much experience with mustangs, or their transmissions, so i'm not sure what to make of it. is this normal? it only does this in 1st gear. it's done this since i bought the car new, so if something is wrong i want to get it fixed. any thoughts?

any help would be greatly appreciated. thanks... :D

[ 08. January 2003, 02:04 AM: Message edited by: recklessOP ]

Sounds like your just not giving it enough gas as you're starting out.Are you sure it's slipping does the motor rev without the car picking up speed like it should? As far as 1st gear you shouldn't be putting it first while going much over a roll.

I have 26K on my clutch and it feels just as sturdy as the day i bought the beauty. Not to be a dick, but i think the jerking is more human error, try letting out smooth and giving a bit more gas. Then again, you could just whole shot all the time.

1st gear, I get absolutely zero whine from my transmition (VERY little if any even in reverse). I wouldnt down shift to 1st unless you are doing 30 or less. But, you also have a different tranny than i do.

i'm being about as smooth as i possibly can in releasing the clutch, and more gas seems to help, but the cable seems have become a bit sticky, so maybe that's to blame. the throttle cable has gotten really bad as well, and i'm about to have both of them replaced. like i said, the car is a bit of a lemon...

you're right about more gas helping, and that's what i've pretty much done to alleviate the problem. it's just something i notice in really slow stop and go driving, and it's not really a big deal...

as far as downshifting to first, i had plans to autocross and open the track the car next spring, and any really tight cornering is going to require a downshift. maybe the gear whine is just a quirk with the new 3650 transmission. i'll just take it over to the dealer and see what they think...

EDIT: btw, i haven't been downshifting to first at anything over 30 mph, and i rarely do it at all in day to day driving. just thought i'd throw that in there in case anyone out there thought i was jamming the shifter into first going down the freeway... ;)

i've got plans for stickier tires next summer, so a new clutch should be in the works anyways. i'm almost certain i've burned up the clutch to some extent with the racing this past summer...

anyone else have any thoughts on the topic?

[ 08. January 2003, 07:55 AM: Message edited by: recklessOP ]

Originally posted by FoundOnRoadDriving:

Try pulling your clutch all the way out. note: i said pulling it. Then push it all the way back in. According to ford, this is how you can adjust/reset/do whatever to the cable clutch.

good idea. i'm tired of this self adjusting cable decided where it thinks the clutch should engage and disengage with regards to pedal travel. i've been worried the cable is causing problems with releasing the clutch. a new clutch quadrant and adjustable cable are in the works as well...

i still use the ratchet clutch quadrant in my 11.0 car thats gone 10.30's. Same 1989 clutch cable too.

usually the only time you'll have problems with the quadrant is if you go with a heavier pressure plate. You may have have put a nice glazing on the flywheel... that'll give you a on-off type of clutch feel.

Matt,

If we ever make it out to a meet the same night again, you can take mine for a little drive and compare. :cool: For reference my clutch has got just over 25k miles on it (feels like it did when it was new).

Just curious since your a noob to these trannies, do you *blip* the throttle between downshifts??

Originally posted by Unleashed:

Just curious since your a noob to these trannies, do you *blip* the throttle between downshifts??

the pedal setup is awful, and even though i've tried heel and toe downshifting, it won't work until i make some pedal adjustments. the gas pedal is just too low to really hit when you're into the brake pedal. i'm hoping to alleviate the situation before we head to mid-ohio this coming spring though. once i get this all sorted out, my driving under braking should smooth out nicely...

new pedals are in the works as well, mine are too small, mounted too far apart, and too slippery. i've just got a million little projects lined up for this car don't i? :D

Originally posted by Jasons TSi:

You may have have put a nice glazing on the flywheel... that'll give you a on-off type of clutch feel.

that could certainly be. the car is being garaged for a while this winter, so i may just pull the clutch and flywheel out to have a look at them. not too difficult on these cars, and i could see where i stand...

someone else back home thought my pressure plate might be on its way out. any thoughts on that? what would a failing pressure plate cause the car to do?

thanks for all the help guys, i appreciate it! :D

Don't change to an adjustable quadrant; worst mistake I ever made; could never get the right adjustment.They make a firewall adjuster that uses the stock cable it works great, it also uses a different quadrant.Check UPR products.

Originally posted by recklessOP:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by Unleashed:

the pedal setup is awful, and even though i've tried heel and toe downshifting, it won't work until i make some pedal adjustments. the gas pedal is just too low to really hit when you're into the brake pedal. i'm hoping to alleviate the situation before we head to mid-ohio this coming spring though. once i get this all sorted out, my driving under braking should smooth out nicely...

new pedals are in the works as well, mine are too small, mounted too far apart, and too slippery. i've just got a million little projects lined up for this car don't i? :D </font>

There is a mod you can do to raise the pedal pretty easily, costs about a dollar and takes about 10 minutes. It raised my pedal about 2 inches. PM me if you want the directions :D

Originally posted by No Longer N/A Cobra:

Hey Matt, just let a couple of us drive your car and see if the same thing happens. Then we can look at the options. :D Not doubting your skills as a manual driver, but ya never know.

wanna trade cars for a week? ;)

thanks for all the ideas and help guys. narrowed the problem down a bit with some test driving this evening. the car seems twitchy at low speeds as you get on the gas, and also clunks a bit between gear shifts. seems more like the differential is to blame for the car's problems, more specifically the ring and pinion set, or so i think. i'm going to take it into the dealer, and get the rear gears changed and setup properly.

i also hope to, with a little bargaining, get some 4.10s or 3.73s put in at the same time. the cost is the same, and ford stocks the different ratios for other cars. hopefully... ;)

new question, what ratio should i get? i'm going to run the stock 26 inch height tires, and the car will be driven frequently on the street, including the highway. autocross and open track events are also in this car's future. drag racing is a not a big concern. any thoughts?

thanks... :D

If its a daily driver, i wouldn't go with 410's. It's gonna be too expensive. It's a lot of extra wear on the enine, not to mention gas costs. As if we both don't have to cough up enough to compensate for a V-8 as it is? I had some problems with my rear end too. Actually, it's been back to the dealership twice because of a clunking some where in the rearend. I didn't bother to mess with it myself, since it was a warranty issue. Anyway, i have a feeling that the 373's alone will make the car feel like an entirely different animal all together. But you're not alowed to get the gears until we have a chance to line em up. :D Speakin of which, Hooters tonight?

Guest Foxstang133617
I have done alot of driving in an 01 GT and you should never down shift the 3650 into first gear going over 5-10mph, you should never have to use first until you are stopped or going a couple of mph. As for the 373s, it will wake the car up but make it much more difficult to launch at the track on street tires. With the 327s you can walk the car out and just mash the throttle, but with the 373 you will have to work the pedal through first and if you hit second hard enough it will excessively break traction. 373s I would highly suggestdrag radials to make it consistent.

Originally posted by FoundOnRoadDriving:

But you're not alowed to get the gears until we have a chance to line em up. :D Speakin of which, Hooters tonight?

i'll be out at hooters tonight... ;)

not sure if i'll run the car though. the weather is getting ugly, and whatever my problem (be it the differential or something else) is, it seems to have been getting worse over the past few weeks. need to think about it...

btw, what sort of problems exactly were you having with the rear end of your mustang?

[ 10. January 2003, 12:34 PM: Message edited by: recklessOP ]

4.10's would probably get your car out of the hole harder, but go with the 3.73's if you drive on the highway alot. I really liked my 4.10 gear for the 8 days that I had it in before the motor went. I also liked the 3.73, but the way that the car liked to rev I decided to put the 4.10 in when the differential took a shit.

Sounds like clutch chatter to me. Pretty common problem. You could try to see if the dealer will replace it under warrenty.

Also, I think you have a SAC (Self Adjusting Clutch). You could try turning your clutch back to the "new" condition and readjust it. (It might have over adjusted. I've never done it while its in the car, only on a test stand so I don't know if it's entirely possible.