question about junkyard trannys...

Guest project3.4camaro

Guest project3.4camaro
My Camaro is having some probs right now to say the least, considering most of the driveline is in my garage. I'm going to be looking for a T-56 tranny six speed from a wrecked car, and was wondering how much would be a good price to pay for one of these items. I have looked into a rebuild kit for a T-5, mine seems to have two bad bearings and is DEFINATELy going to require a rebuild, and it seems to be about 200 bucks for the rebuild kit. IF I can find a T-56 Six speed for 300-400 bucks, it would be an upgrade and would save the hassle of rebuilding the tranny. Sorry for the length, leave some notes!

like he said, good luck.

Another thing to think about is that the t-56 ratios aren't very steep, compaired to the t-5, with one exception being 1993. You may be disappointed with your acceleration after the swap, also consider the t-56 is a heavier unit too.

t-56 (1993) First 2.97:1, Second 2.07:1, Third 1.43:1, Forth 1.00:1, Fifth 0.80:1, Sixth 0.62:1

t-56 (1994-02)2.66:1 first, 1.78:1 second, 1.30:1 third, 1.00:1 fourth, .74:1 fifth, .50:1 sixth

t-5 Gear Ratios: (1st) 2.95:1 (2nd) 1.94:1 (3rd) 1.34:1 (4th) 1.00:1 (5th) 0.73:1

T56 transmissions are NOT cheap by any means. i wouldn't bother with one unless you plan to push big HP. the gear ratios are also different, so a rear gear swap might also be in order if you do the swap...

a T56 won't just bolt in either. i know a few magazines have detailed T5 to T56 swaps, so a little research is in hand if you're serious. chances are you'll need at least a new bellhousing (if they even make one that will bolt a T56 to your engine) and tranny crossmember. you may also have to mess with the driveshaft length as well as the clutch and all its supporting hardware...

if saving money and time is important, just rebuild the original T5 or get another one from the junkyard...

Guest project3.4camaro
I know what it takes, and a gear swap is in mind. 3.73s to be exact. I have been pricing them and the T-56 swap is a no go. cheapest so far has been 1650. Have found a few T-5s for three hundred, so I'll probably wind up rebuilding the old one. I'll wait around til i need that much transmission. thanks

Originally posted by project3.4camaro:

I know what it takes, and a gear swap is in mind. 3.73s to be exact. I have been pricing them and the T-56 swap is a no go. cheapest so far has been 1650. Have found a few T-5s for three hundred, so I'll probably wind up rebuilding the old one. I'll wait around til i need that much transmission. thanks

if you find a place with good prices on a T56, let me know. i'm looking to do the swap as well later on down the road. the 6th gear overdrive goes a long way towards making steep rear gearing livable on the street... ;)