Yok's or Nittos?

Guest fooked

Guest fooked

C'mon tire guys. Help me out here.

I am in dire need of a new set of tires for the car. I only have the stock rims for now, so I really need a good all season performance tire. Being FWD I want something that is going to get decent traction, but it's important that it lasts for awhile. I talked to someone at Discount Tire at Easton today, and he suggested the Yokohama Avid V4's. I asked about Nitto 450's but he said they were not all season tires. I looked them up on both Tirerack and Nitto's website and they claim that they are. I will eventually get a better set of rims to run in the summer with a good set of tires, but that is not an option at the moment. Both the Nitto's and the Yokohama's were roughly about the same price.

Does anyone have any recommendations, or know which tire would be better for my car? I knew there were a few guys on here that worked at some local tire shops that may be able to point me in the right direction. Any help would be appreciated.

Thanks!

Guest badmuthrfkr

Who did you talk to up at Discount Tire at Easton?

A slew of my good friends work there, one being the Assistant Manager(Sam).

I'd go with a set of Yokohama ES100s. They will do very well in rain and dry, but it's not a snow tire.

If you are going to get a set of nice wheels, I'd spend the money on nicer tires for those for dry weather.

Don't worry so much about cutting good 60foots on an all season, just use them for their purpose, all season and to get you around town.

If you plan on getting traction and 40,000 miles out of a tire, you might as well pick a new hobby.

I've got Yokohama AVS ES100's on my 18s (15s for winter). The tread is really aggressive, but I'm almost positive it isn't M+S rated...I don't see ANY sipes on the treadblocks at all :(

They are probably the best tires I've driven on in the rain. Yesterday I didn't feel compromised at all by the weather on these tires. Discount Tire will deal too if you talk to the right guys. I got 235/40-18 for $105 each.

Guest powers

Sumitotmo HTR+ AWSOME all season perfomance tire. Had a set of NT450's...trash within a month. This is the only tire I would buy for all season but make sure you get the right model the other sumi's aren't all that great.

That's my thoughts

Originally posted by zeitgeist57:

I've got Yokohama AVS ES100's on my 18s (15s for winter). The tread is really aggressive, but I'm almost positive it isn't M+S rated...I don't see ANY sipes on the treadblocks at all :(

They are probably the best tires I've driven on in the rain. Yesterday I didn't feel compromised at all by the weather on these tires. Discount Tire will deal too if you talk to the right guys. I got 235/40-18 for $105 each.

if you want sipes in your tires discount tire can sipe them for you. but i wouldn't recomment it on performance tires when u have a bunch of individual tread block like taht ur handling will be compromised, and if u tend to "break loose" often ur tires may even "chunk" away.

i hav emy tires siped on the corolla, did wonders for all weather driving, and straight line traction.

btw i work at discount tire up at polaris we are rearly busy during the week if u wanna get ur tires don in like 30-45 mins bring them there.

Sumitomo HTR+'s look very good from www.tirerack.com, though I don't have any personal experience with them. I have the BFG Comp T/A KDWS all-season tires and my car performed EXCELLENT in the rain and tolerable in the snow (but I mean cmon, a 500hp RWD). I highly recommend them, but I would've gotten the HTR+'s had they been available in my size.