Forming tubing.

fush

I'm trying to get an idea how I would form tubing or where I could take this to have someone do it for me.

http://palpatine.infinitedata.net/~jweber/manifold3.jpg

If you look at the even runners they are oval shaped. I want to make a manifold similar to this one but I will need to get the ends of the tubes ovalived like that. Any ideas?

-jeff

I don't really see anything on the burns that that looks right. I have also heard the same things about the guys at tubular techniques. If you aren't buying a lot of stuff then you don't get that great of service.

Any other ideas or pointers as to how this would get done? Do they just use some kind of press?

edit:

guess i didnt look close enough. I see the ovalized tubing and it looks like it will work. Just kinda of expensive but everything at burns is expensive.

[ 02. April 2004, 01:16 PM: Message edited by: fush ]

I have another design I drew up in CAD I was just using that manifold for an example. There really aren't a lot of choices for this application. I have a y-pipe right now but I don't think Im going to end up using it. My new design I drew up looks more like the manifold in the back of that picture. Thanks for the info about the heat and the vice thats probabally the route I'm going to go since its the most cost effective.

http://palpatine.infinitedata.net/~jweber/mani1.jpg

The one in the back looks good, the one in the front looks like ass and would probably flow about the same as it looks.

I'd try and make a 3->2 merge collector.

Fush, are thoes tublar ports for the exhast coming from the oppsite (of the exhuast) side of the enigne?

Man, I would think It would be a huge PITA trying to get true equal lengths from the exhuast valve to the collector considering the fact that the exhuast flows through from the other side of the head for that bank.

Yes. I don't think it will be an attempt at a true equal length header as that would be difficult to get correct. It will be more of a tubular style manifold than most of the other ones out currently though. Basically its going to look similar to the y-pipe style manifold I have right now but rather than use the cast uppers it will be all tubular. That will let me put the turbo in a more agreeable spot as well as make the collector more of a straight shot from all of the runners. This is going to be a summer long project most likley. Now that I started my new job I can afford to do the whole thing right rather than skimp just because I want to turbo my car.

Guest stevil
You don't need equal length anyways. You can probably cut out an oval shape solid block of some material a few inches long. Put that inside your tubing, then heat it up and beat on it, use a vice, form it to that oval shape as much as possible.