MIG Welder Recommendation

SquirrelyNutsDSP

I'm thinking about possibly picking up a small welder for autobody/light fabrication and I was wondering if something like a Miller 135 would suit my needs. It says on the Miller site that it'd work but I'd like some personal opinions.

Ratings:

90 A at 18 VDC, 20% Duty Cycle

30 - 135 Amps

Good thing about this one is it's 115 V, 20 Amps 60 Hz one-phase so I can use it anywhere without worrying about finding a source. Price is also a factor ($625), so if you know of a used MIG welder for sale anywhere I'd appreciate info.

Thanks. smile.gif

Miller makes excellent machines, and the one you are looking at will work great on anything from light gauge(auto body) to 3/16" plate. But if you want to save a little money, the Lincoln that is availible at Home Depot and Lowes's can be picked up for less than $400, plus $100 for the argon kit. It will do just as good of a job on the light gauge, but I believe it is just slightly less powerful.

Guest stevil
I got mine on eBay, auction similar to this one, same seller. It is ready for MIG too, just need a tank, no need to worry about a $100 upgrade kit. Free shipping btw, good prices. He has tons of other items for sale (Miller, other Lincolns, accessories, etc.).

Century, unless you are going to be doing production work and want to spend a fortune for no reason, I would go with a Century. I have had mine for some time, and had a big pro MIG welder too. I sold the big one and kept the Century. They have built battery changers and other power supplys for a very long time and that is really all a welder is. The MIG gun they use is a Tweco, which is a very recognized name in the welding industry. If you want, stop by and take a look at mine. I Think you will be impressed.