S-10 into a 1/2 Ton Pick-up?

zeitgeist57

Hey!

My buddy has a '94 S-10 (4cyl/5sp/2WD) that he wants a little more payload capability for hauling around town. No towing, notta lotta highway action.

What can be done to increase bed payload capacity to 1/2 ton? Are springs and shocks enough, or does the frame need to be boxed/strengthened as well?

Thanks! smile.gif

I don't know if he will be able to get up to the 1/2 ton, but he can improve the load handling characteristics of his truck. I would start with the leaf springs. They make aftermarket add-a-leafs, as well as air bag kits to keep the ass end off the ground.

The braking system would be my next step. What good does it do carrying the stuff if you can't stop? The s-10 has the same spindles as GM's g-body cars. Buick Regal, Monte Carlo, Cutlass, Gran Prix, etc... I would look to see if there is a swap he could do to get bigger brakes.

This truck will always be limited by it's short and narrow wheelbase. So don't let him get too carried away.

That four cylinder will be a big limiter too.

The s-10 is way different than making a 1/2 ton full size truck to a 3/4 or 1 ton. With the full size trucks, you can normally swap out the rear end, front and rear springs, brakes, and wheels to get the bigger payload. S-10's are S-10's.

Good luck!

compact trucks are generally already rated at 1/2 ton.

That rating is just there to keep the manufacturer out of trouble in case something breaks, but in reality compact trucks will easily do a half ton, and fullsize trucks will do much more than they are rated for. I've heard of compact trucks of any brand hauling a ton of gravel at a time. Takes a while to get it down the road, but it can do it.

Either way, it wouldn't take much to strengthen it up. Stiffer springs, heavy duty shocks, good brakes and it will be fine. A bigger engine would definately help, and i would hope that it has a manual transmission. Tell you're friend to learn how to match gears and not use the clutch once he's already moving, and he won't have any trouble pulling heavy loads.

Only thing i don't like about using a truck with a manual in it for pulling is trying to pull a boat out of water. I usually just spin. Wait, I usually just spin with an auto, too....

Guest nevarmore

I concur with copperhead. I worked at a lawn & garden place in high school and we routinely put 1 to 1 1/2 tons of bulk gravel/mulch etc into s-10's and rangers. We just told the owner "It'll fit, but if it breaks your truck its not our problem.".

Unless you need to haul a 1/2 ton more than say 4 times a year or so you'll be fine.

With the 4-cylinder a better investment might be some nitrous to get it going a little better when you have a big load. You could even share one bottle between the truck an the cars......

Guest 614Streets

The 2.2 is going to hold him back greatly and his stock brake system must be in perfect condition , but most likely his truck isnt going to be capable. Not because of frame strenth or suspension strenth , but because of a lack of torque , gear, and brakes.

Using HILBILLY MATH I find he will need about 20' - 40' extra stoping distance while traveling within city speed limits.

Upgrade pads on all four wheels and use a add-a-leaf system (3.73-up prefered) and his truck might stand a chance of carrying a few loads here and there in my opinion.

Chevy S10 rear gear codes(found in glove box)

Code 'GU4' 3.08

Code 'GU6' 3.42

Code 'GT4' 3.73

Code 'GT8' 4.10

I have had 800 pounds of concrete in the back of my S10 and driven from Gahanna to the South end.

My s10 has South side Lift bars which are preloaded against my rear leaf springs. The 800 pounds of weight made the ass end sit about 1" lower, and surely the belltech springs were maxed well. My truck actually rode softer(backbreaker with south sides). Anyways , the first thing you'll notice is less braking distance , and less pull. My truck performed well with the load and level headed driving.

My truck does have a 2.8 v6 , but it is supercharged with a roots blower and I have 4.10 gears. So I have more grunt than most small cube mini trucks.

*******************ALL MY OPINION*****************

Yup, the S-series trucks already have a boxed frame, so they can take a beating.

V8 swaps are VERY doable in these trucks. I tow w/ my 93 CPI 4.3L Blazer.....but it is plagued by the worst gears offered, the dreaded GU4 3.08's. But damn it, my truck car pull my boat out of even shitty ramps with ease, even without having a posi. smile.gif But otherwise, it sucks ass towing w/ that thing.....it REALLY needs some 3.73's back there, and I guarantee she would tow very nicely.

Thanks for all of the help, guys. On Saturday, we hauled 800lbs of paver base (3430lbs...truck, him, me, gravel) from Langstone in German Village to his house on Whittier near Parsons. The truck handled it no problemo, provided that we never went over 30mph. That's PREDOMINANTLY what he does...lotta heavy bed loads over very short COlumbus distances. The only real hinderance was that we were ALL DAY riding on the axle. The stock springs and old shocks were terrible.

I'll look into convincing him for some Superhelper springs and a few performance upgrades. Thanks again, guys! smile.gif