Problems with my new BOV.

DTM Brian

Hoping maybe someone can help me here. I just installed a Greddy Type R BOV on my mustang tonight. I had borrowed a Type S last year and was getting alot of compressor surge. I did some looking around and met up with a guy who works for an RX7 shop in Florida who has an incon kit as well. He told me that the R-Valve would take care of any compressor surge. Basically, the type S was not big enough to move the CFM that my turbos generate. However I have just as much surge if not more. The screw is backed almost all the way out. Just before the point of it whistling with engine vacumn. Do I need to crank the screw down? I kind of feel like I wasted money. If I cant figure it out. I will take it off and sell the damn thing. I went this long without one. I sure as hell can go back to not using one.

I used to have the Greddy R on my car, and I too was getting compressor surge. You need to tighten the bolt down a little bit, and play with it. Also-- did you get the standard spring? or the high boost spring? Also-- check the vacuum source that you're using for the bov. A weak vaccuum source might be the cause of this.

Hey Brian, the Type-R BOV will have some "flutter" to it, which will sound like a very loud surge. Since the valve itself has a very large range of motion to be able to move so much volume, the valve will open and close several times during the vent process, causing the "sneeze" type noise. This is most likely coming from just the cycling of the BOV, and not surge from your turbos.

Basically, there is pretty much no way you are actually getting more compressor surge with the type-R BOV then you were getting with no BOV at all.

If you want, you can just give me another quick ride so I can see how she sounds. :D