CR!!! Need some more help here!

Shields1181

I suppose this should have been posted in the Tech help forum but I need some info asap. Ok...I am in the process of reapainting my hood. Right now its down to the bare metal. The primaring is not a problem. But I need to know the ratio to be used with the paint to the reducer. I am using a medium reducer with ecrylic enamel and hardener. Any information would be VERY VERY helpful. Thanks!

Guest stevil
No clue. But I think the color of the primer is important too, especially if you're doing a light colored car like that yellow. A white primer is probably the thing to use, while a gray primer will result in a darker color, maybe not. Find out.

The proper mix ratio is: 1 gal of paint, 3 quarts of reducer, and 1 pint of hardner...this can very slightly with air temp, surface temp, and humidity. I always use a fisheye eliminator in the paint also, usually by the time you find out you need it its too late. It can save you from starting over at square one.

The primer color can greatly effect the final color outcome. Be sure to use the same color primer as is on the rest of the vehicle. Looking for rock chips that are down to the primer is usually the easiest way to find out.

Also, if you are primering over bare metal you must use a metal conditioning system prior to primering if you want the paint to stick. At the very least you should wipe the surface down with a mixture of 10 parts water, 1 part white distilled vinegar to etch the surface.(this will cause what appears to be a light rust on the surface of the metal) Then use 360 grit or finer sandpaper to remove the haze.

I recommend an Epoxy Primer/Catalyst. It can be used as a primer, or reduced as a sealer, thus saving you from buying both.

Sorry if this is more info then you wanted, and Good Luck with your hood smile.gif .