Ford Explorer vibrations...

Guest infamous me 235

Guest infamous me 235
my g/f's mom's ford exploer vibrates when you drive it, and the check engine light is on, the belt is tight and the oil is fine... any ideas?

Vibration - Could be a tire that is out of round (slipped belt), a wheel that needs balanced or a wheel that is bent. A vibration while driving that can be felt in the steering wheel is a front wheel problem, if it's a vibration you feel more through the seat of your pants it's a rear wheel. If it's a vibration under breaking it's warped rotors. That's just to begin, you need to be more specific and the car realy needs to be looked at to be 100 perecent sure of the problem.

You'll need to have the Check Engine Light pulled to even begin to find out what it is. If the truck drives fine otherwise it could be something stupid like a loose gas cap. Try tightening the gas cap, after the vehicle has been run a few times the CEL will go off if that was the problem. Also, make sure the CEL is in fact on and it isn't something silly like the maintenance light.

Originally posted by bigbabyjesus:

Vibration - Could be a tire that is out of round (slipped belt), a wheel that needs balanced or a wheel that is bent. A vibration while driving that can be felt in the steering wheel is a front wheel problem, if it's a vibration you feel more through the seat of your pants it's a rear wheel. If it's a vibration under breaking it's warped rotors. That's just to begin, you need to be more specific and the car realy needs to be looked at to be 100 perecent sure of the problem.

You'll need to have the Check Engine Light pulled to even begin to find out what it is. If the truck drives fine otherwise it could be something stupid like a loose gas cap. Try tightening the gas cap, after the vehicle has been run a few times the CEL will go off if that was the problem. Also, make sure the CEL is in fact on and it isn't something silly like the maintenance light.

To add to what he said, it could have a bad U joint as well...

Originally posted by torqueless:

I hope that the car does not still wear the infamous Firestone tires. :eek:

no shit, the other day we did a roadforce ona truck tire, and it did 90lbs of roadforce, my manager said "bolt it on, thats normal for a firestone"

god those tires blow.(no pun intended)

Guest nevarmore

diagnosing vibrations:

1)set the parking brake. start the car and put it in neutral. rev the engine up to normal driving RPMs. if the vibration is there then the problem lies within the engine.

2) go for a drive. if the vibration occurs at the same RPMs in different gears then its likely a transmission problem

3) if the vibrations occur at one speed then its a problem with the driveshaft, differential, wheels, or tires.

its late, but thats mostly correct.

Guest infamous me 235
well the womans a snitch, so shes just gonna take it somewhere and they'll tell her exactly what i told her, through the "word of CR"...