Need some advice from the 240SX boys

hedonist

I am looking to do a 5 lug conversion on my 89 Fastback. I ask around on Zilvia.com and they just tell me to search the forum. I have searched. I can't find what I am looking for. I know all I need is rear hubs from a 300ZX non-turbo for the rear. What about the front. I know the 300ZX hubs don't work in front. What will work? I have heard that S14 hubs will work. On the other had I have heard you need more than just the hubs for it to work. I need to know what 5 lug hubs fit the front.

Originally posted by J@yC:

I am looking to do a 5 lug conversion on my 89 Fastback. I ask around on Zilvia.com and they just tell me to search the forum. I have searched. I can't find what I am looking for. I know all I need is rear hubs from a 300ZX non-turbo for the rear. What about the front. I know the 300ZX hubs don't work in front. What will work? I have heard that S14 hubs will work. On the other had I have heard you need more than just the hubs for it to work. I need to know what 5 lug hubs fit the front.

First of all Zilvia sucks, I had an argument with a admin over there and even though he was wrong the other morons followed him like sheep. :rolleyes: Do a search for user infamous240..lol

If you want the Z32 front brakes, you will need...

A pair of Z32 front calipers,Z32 front rotors a set of s14 hubs, front stainless brake lines from ppdm-racing.com ...you can use the S14 rotors I believe, or I THINK you can redrill the stock rotors.

Rear - Z32 rear hubs, pair of S14 rear rotors.

The only real point to doing the 5 lug conversion this way is to use the Z32 front brakes. Not using the Z32 front brakes is a waste of time IMO. I'm sure there are other ways to do it though. Hope that helps.

Guest doggunracing

Agreed, most of Zilvia sucks, but there are some decent folks. Most of the smart ones are on Freshalloy. I got this info there:

-S13 uses 30mm front hub bolt, S14 uses 32mm front hub bolt. Both chassis uses 36mm rear hub bolt.

-Conversion to 5 lug on S13 chassis requires S14SE/Z32nonturbo rear hubs, and either 1) JDM aftermarket front S13 5 lug hubs, or 2) S14 SE front hubs + S14 spindle + S14 ball joint w/LCA (and redrilling of strut for larger strut bolt).

So, you can't just swap the hubs for the front. I guess this swap is so you can choose from a wider range of wheels? You can do the Z32 brakes without changing hubs, you just redrill the rotors for 4-lug. Done all the time.

Thank you guys. See, why couldn't those boys just give me a strait answer like that? Sounds like it would be much easier with just getting the after market 30mm 5 lug front hub. Only place I have found them is www.jspec.com, and they want $450 pluss shipping just for the front hubs. I can get all of the S14 SE front hubs + S14 spindle + S14 ball joint w/LCA for less than that. Do you know of another place to get the 5 lug hubs?

Guest doggunracing

Not really. I'd just get the S14 parts. It's really not that hard, and you know they're going to fit. And if they ever fail, you can get an easy replacement. Try www.car-part.com for the S14 pieces.

You never said why you were getting them, wheels or brakes?

Guest BlackS14

I did the Z32 front/rear/MC conversion on my S14 back in March. I have info posted on our local (tri-state) website. One of the Admins is documenting it right now for an S13.

www.importfanatix.com go to the tech section.

Don't start mixing and matching S14 bits on your S13. They are just similar enough to confuse you.

Use only Z32 parts, NA if you can find them. The TTs have a larger hub flange in the rear that will need to be cut off in order to space out the ebrake hardware.

For 4 wheel swap You need:

Front calipers -Z32, 32mm, aluminum if you can find it.

Front rotors -Z32, 280x32mm

Brake lines -A number of places make conversion SS lines -PDM just makes an adapter (rip off!!!) Use ProjectSilvia.com. Ask for Robert.

Rear Calipers -Z32, 22mm

Rear rotors -Z32 again...

Rear E-brake Assy' -comes attached to rear spindle assy for Z32 (aluminum). This is a junkyard part. I have two spare aluminum spindles, but no e-brake hardware.

Rear Hub -Z32, only needed to cut off the hub flange -you cannot use the Z32 hub, diameter too large for axles.

Conversion E-brake cables -ProjectSilvia again.

Master Cylinder -Z32, converted to non-ABS.

I can do this swap in my sleep. If you need help, look in these places for parts and advice:

www.importfanatix.com

www.projectsilvia.com

www.srswap.com

www.importnut.net/300zxbrakeswap.htm (Al's site, good stuff)

I also have a ton of resources for parts for S13/S14s. I can hook you up with these when I get back to Ohio next week.

EDIT: Beware the information that you get from some of those "big" sites. Stick with the one's that I posted, especially importnut's. Those Zilvia guys often operate on heresay. Did anyone on Zilvia mention the stud differences between S13 and S14? Nope. Keep it simple, avoid the 5-lug if it's not necessary. I can help you do the front only swap in 30 minutes.