engine coating?

supldys

From what I have heard and read. The ceramic piston top coatings will have some effect with keeping the temp of the piston down. But it's something that is going to make an additional 5 hp maybe 10. So if you are building a balls to the wall racing engine do it. If you are building a street motor that's gonna run pump gas. You are only going to end up getting a layer of carbon over top the ceramic and it not doing any good. This is from the stuff I have read mind you not actual experience so you make your own desision of course but I figured that I would pass this along.

BTW, this coating is layed on the piston at a very high temp.. And doing it yourself may not be the best option. It's sort of like teflon in slick50. there is NO WAY that engine tempatures reach the point that anything is going to "bond" to the metal. The fact is that 75% of the teflon in that additive ends up in the oil filter within 10 minutes of firing it up. There have been a few cases of airplanes engines locking up and causing the plane to crash, and the FAA found that the oil filters on these planes had clogged with teflon (air plane motors do not have pressure bypasses for clogged oil filters like factory cars do). Do some research on the web and you'll find out about this. There are other superlubricants in most additives and they do reduce friction, but if it says bonds to metal don't believe it.

Take a look here PTFE Stuff

Teflon coatings on pistons however are form what I hear are reasonable for a street motor and are not so expensive, in fact SpeedPro offers several of there pistons with the coating, again if you try to do it yourself. If you get it to bond, the pistons will need to first need to be machined down the thickness of the coating, then remachined and polished to take off any high spots of the coatings. Here again, don't bother trying it yourself. It's not cheaper, the chemicals might be, but having piston walls machined is no cheap endeavor.

[ 01. October 2003, 08:52 AM: Message edited by: Desperado ]

i was referring to some of the ceramic coatings they offer for piston crowns and cylinder heads. most of them are simply sprayed or brushed on, then cooked in an oven at a few hundred degrees to cure. nothing too fancy or difficult. some of the ceramic coatings i've seen will air dry properly...

they make dry film lubricant that you can apply to the piston skirts(at home) to reduce scuff and cylinder wear. the top coatings aren't really nesecary unless your running very high compresion lots of boost or both togehter the top coatings lower the piston temp and helps control detonation