Problem with car

Guest Grits

Guest Grits
Hey my friend has a thunderbird and he dosent know whats wrong with it cuze he can go short distances but then smoke and antifreeze comes out of the tailpipe, so if any one knows whats wrong with it and how much it will cost plz reply thnks.

Originally posted by 1bad66duece:

can you say head gaskets?

HEAD GASKET!

tongue.gif

sounds like we found ur problem, and its probably not gonna be cheap. good luck hopefully the engine isn't fucked up.

Good news, many of fords 3.8's have headgaskets coverend under a recall, cuz they suck. Check with you closest Ford service place to see if you're qualified.

What year/options is it? Is it an LX V6 or a Super coupe?

If its' not covered, goto the forums on this page, www.tccoa.com, many there can help ya, might be able to walk ya through the replacement.

head gaskets only take about 8 hours if you dont have any warped heads or cracked heads...i just did two 3.8 motors last month. i was told there where going to be hard but man that was an easy car to do. If you want to try to tackle it yourslef pm me and i can give you the advice your looking for...

kevin

[ 06 May 2002, 06:44 PM: Message edited by: Min Men 2 ]

tell your friend to STOP DRIVING THE CAR! Not any distance.... That water/antifreeze makes its way into the oil and it'll spin a bearing out and skrew up the crankshaft journals. I'd bet it already is in the oil... Have him take a look at the oil... if it looks like a vanilla milk shake and he's driven it, most likely he's already done damage.

No matter if its under warrantee or not, they wont replace the shortblock...

Definatly, do not drive it at all, dont run it, dont start it, dont look at it crosseyed. As for the recall, a freind of mine blew the gaskets on his Sables 3.8 and did warp the heads and spun a crank bearing. Under the recal, he recived a whole new engine...then totaled the car. :rolleyes: