Trip to Cali and back

Earache

I posted this on another forum that I'm on and thought some here might enjoy it as well. So I'll try to cut and paste the pther posts and put'em here.....

Left Indy last Friday and rode to Denver. A quick 1,000 miles. I didn't take a single picture as there is absolutely nothing to see except cornfields. And I think I slept half of the way as well.

Three of us, Joe, David and I, made the trip this year. Our first stop after leaving the hotel in Denver was a cafe inm Empire, Colorado for some breakfast. Had some rather small breakfast burritos...

IMG_9143Medium.jpg

IMG_9144Medium.jpg

IMG_9145Medium.jpg

• Replies 73
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Out of the mountains and into the flats of Utah. The temperature rockets upward to the high 80's and it's very hot and dry...

IMG_9155Medium.jpg

Must have some sort of dead animal problems here...

IMG_9157Medium.jpg

We arrive in Salt Lake City just in time to catch the WSB races at Miller Motorsports Park in Tooele, Utah.

Ben Spies in the AMA support race...

IMG_9165Medium.jpg

The track....

IMG_9167Medium.jpg

IMG_9168Medium.jpg

Attendance was kinda low...

IMG_9170Medium.jpg

After the races, we head out to Lake Taho, Nevada with our friends Mark and Vinny from Ireland. They shipped bikes over for a coast to coast ride. Not many curves in Nevada...

IMG_9373Medium.jpg

IMG_9376Medium.jpg

IMG_9380Medium.jpg

Cool trip. What was the occasion....the race? Some guys from the XX board I hang on are ridin' out there also, for our west coast meet

Cool track pix!

Stopped for fuel at a remote desert station. Getting very hot now so we took a bit of a brake. We have been doing 110 mph for most of the day to get across Nevada as fast as possible. No cops looking for us, so it''s a good day.

Found an old truck left by the side fo the road at the gas station. Brass radiator would bring a few bucks at the scrap yard. Can't believe it hasn't been nicked yet...

IMG_9393Medium.jpg

IMG_9391Medium.jpg

IMG_9392Medium.jpg

IMG_9385Medium.jpg

IMG_9382Medium.jpg

Stopped for lunch in Eureka, Nevada, one fo the countless old mining towns that you find out here. It's seen it's better days but still has some excellent examples of 1870's architecture...

IMG_9399Medium.jpg

IMG_9398Medium.jpg

IMG_9397Medium.jpg

IMG_9395Medium.jpg

Lunch was nothing but the best; chili dogs and chips...

IMG_9400Medium.jpg

I wasn't the man I thought I was as I left 1/2 of on the plate. It was just too hot out to eat a heavy lunch. But the options on the menu were kinda slim

We're humping it towards tonight's destination; Lake Tahoe, Nevada. Today's ride will be around 650 miles. Hope to throw away some cash at the gambling tables, drink a few cold beers and have a good nights sleep.

We're booked into the Harvey's Casion Hotel while MArk and Vincent are across the street at the Mount Blue...

IMG_9405Medium.jpg

Nice room, too nice for us....

IMG_9401Medium.jpg

IMG_9402Medium.jpg

IMG_9407Medium.jpg

After a dinner at Sammy Hagar's Cabo Tahoe Restaurant (good drinks, average food) we ride around Lake Tahoe the enxt morning. Cool and crisp, the air was full of pine scent from the trees. Great raods, curvy as you like, smooth and traffic free. Fantastic views of the Lake from up here....

IMG_9413Medium.jpg

IMG_9417Medium.jpg

IMG_9418Medium.jpg

IMG_9423Medium.jpg

IMG_9421Medium.jpg

IMG_9425Medium.jpg

My friend Joe has to eat on a very strict schedule, so we stop when he's hungry. Joe has selected a small roadhouse that specializes in biscuits and gravy. Fuggin' nasty if you ask me, but we all get an order with the exception of the Irish guys - they opted for a more familiar fare of eggs and bacon...

IMG_9455Medium.jpg

IMG_9456Medium.jpg

Tonight's destination is Shelter Cove, California - a scant 500 mile ride. A remote fishing town right on the coast and home to one of my favorite hotels situated high on a cliff overlooking the water. We'll stay here for a couple of nights to recoup after a few days of longish rides.

IMG_9607Medium.jpg

IMG_9609Medium.jpg

IMG_9612Medium.jpg

The next day we're off to find the Redwoods - oldest living trees in the US with some being nearly 1,000 years old. Big bastards, too!

IMG_9491Medium.jpg

IMG_9487Medium.jpg

IMG_9493Medium.jpg

IMG_9497Medium.jpg

Mark standing on top of a fallen Redwood...

IMG_9508Medium.jpg

IMG_9521Medium.jpg

IMG_9520Medium.jpg

IMG_9522Medium.jpg

Okay, enough of the trees. mark and Vinny have to head for San Francisco to load their bikes for shipment and catch a flight back home. We head down Route 101 and 1 on the way to Mendocino. Excellent roads that follow the coast and dip in and out of the woods...

IMG_9550Medium.jpg

IMG_9552Medium.jpg

IMG_9556Medium.jpg

IMG_9561Medium.jpg

IMG_9565Medium.jpg

Back to our digs at Shelter Cove for another night after leaving Mark and Vinny to catch their flight. Our hotel on the cliffs above the Pacific. We were the only guests and had the place to ourselves...

IMG_9586Medium2.jpg

Views from our rooms....

IMG_9582Medium.jpg

IMG_9584Medium.jpg

IMG_9585Medium.jpg

The front tire on my ST is shot from the previous day's "spirited" ride;D so we're heading north to Medford, Oregon to get fresh rubber fitted. We're on Route 93 - another great NorCal road...

IMG_9673Medium.jpg

IMG_9678Medium.jpg

IMG_9670Medium.jpg

IMG_9669Medium.jpg

IMG_9660Medium.jpg