looking for laptops - opinions?

copperhead

Ok, I'm looking for a laptop for around a thousand bucks, I can go a bit higher if need be though. What I really want is an HP/Compaq powered by an Athlon, but the specs I want brings the price up to about $1,350. So, I found this:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=M2350-R&cat=NBB

Downside: It's an E Machine. Upside: It's got everything I want.

My question is, are the E Machines notebook computers as shitty as the desktops? Or, should I just spend the extra coin to get the HP?

TIA

Originally posted by copperhead:

Ok, I'm looking for a laptop for around a thousand bucks, I can go a bit higher if need be though. What I really want is an HP/Compaq powered by an Athlon, but the specs I want brings the price up to about $1,350. So, I found this:

http://www.compgeeks.com/details.asp?invtid=M2350-R&cat=NBB

Downside: It's an E Machine. Upside: It's got everything I want.

My question is, are the E Machines notebook computers as shitty as the desktops? Or, should I just spend the extra coin to get the HP?

TIA

You get what you pay for. Just make sure it has 512MB of RAM

Guest riggs867

Assuming that you don't plan on doing serious gaming, I would recommend the Dell Latitude D600. You can get a base machine, with 512MB RAM for $1342. I have about 30 Dell laptops in the field, and they get used hard. I have seen them with the display torn off the hinges, and still working.

The Latitude is from their business line of laptops, and doens't have some of the toys that the Inspiron does, but they take care of business. Dell support for their business notebooks is pretty good (next business day usually). IBM anything (unless you are buying a mainframe or mini computer) is out. eMachines are cheap, in every sense of the word. Compaqs have gradually improved since HP purchased them.

Originally posted by BiG BeN:

if you're gonna use it outside,or in the car.check out the panasonic toughbooks. you could probably get a slightly used one in your budget.

Copperhead here...

I looked around for prices on those new, and they are nearly twice my pricerange for a new one, and they seem to be a pain in the ass to get.

Also, Kyle, what's so bad about HP/Compaq? I know that Compaq has had a not so great history, but from my experiance, HP has always been rock solid. Compaq's are now basically the same thing.

I appreciate the info on the EMachines. I'll keep it in mind if that's all that I can afford.

I've looked at the HP's, and so far I like them. Alienware's are far too expensive, otherwise I would be going for that. I can't stand anything made by sony, so no Vaio's for me. A Dell would be acceptable, but comparable notebooks cost more than the HP's. Gateway doesn't seem to offer much at all. I can't think of any other worthwhile brands to look at.

thanks for the help.

Oh, and Smurf, I'm sorry, but I'm looking for something new with a warrenty. Thanks anyways.

Originally posted by Speci@lized.:

you may also want to consider a WinBook. they are a good company Also they dont load tons of bullshit software just the O/S and office if you buy it or if its offered.

What's that, an IBM?

And as for software, I would be more than happy with a laptop that comes with a blank HD, I've got plenty of different OS's.

-Mike

copperhead

No, it's Winbook. That's the company name. Several years ago, I worked for their sister company and I worked with Winbooks a lot. I have several funny stories about Winbooks back in the day when they were crap. Since I haven't worked for the company in 5 years, I haven't touched any Winbooks, so I am unable to tell you if they are better now-adays than they were back then. http://www.winbook.com/ is their site if you want to check them out. You can also go to Micro Center to see them in person.

I worked tech at best buy for 2 years, hps and compaqs poured in broken, hard drives fry all the time due to shitty engineering on the cooling, boards go bad, modems and network jacks crack off inside. I just ran into far to many problems with them.

Dell - decent product, decent components, decent design, decent service, decent price.

IBM - excellent product, decent service, excellent components, Great design. OSU is currently giving their discount on these to students let me know if you interested in the price list.

Toshiba - decent components, excellent design, great features.

i would tend to shy away from the winbooks, but they are pretty good pricewise so if you got a good warranty on it thats debatable.

oh on another note WInbook does not make there own laptops the buy them from Aphatop and like companys. Same goes for dell and quite a few other companies When i was at Winbook Dell was sell the exact same units (same model same hardware) for $500 = more and only difference was the stick on name tag.

I bought a Dell Insprion 8600. If you are planning on using your laptop outside of your home I would go with one of the new Mobile chips over a P4 or AMD equivilant. Mine came with the Intel centrino, I get 6+ hours out of a battery, plus it runs cool so the fan hardly ever comes on - not to mention it is fast.

As far as eMachines being a good brand, I don't know too much about them. I've always heard that they are sort of a 'bargain brand' but I don't have any personal experience to know.

If you have a $1,300 budget I would check out Dell, I've been more than happy with mine and it rang in around $1,400. You could ditch a couple options and get it for $1,300.

-Charlie