I NEED A GENERATOR

Nick

Just like it says - I dont think I'll have power anytime soon, I am just seeing if anyone has a generator I can use until they restore power. I have gas heat, but digital thermostat owns me. Also, My gas stove is digital, so that blows too. I will compensate for use and time if necessary.

So, anyone have a generator? Call me immediately.

Nick

614-783-6468

I'm all electric and they are saying sunday.... I looked at the hardware stores today and they were saying that they didn't have any portible ones and the whole house ones run about 10k

but Meijers on Hamilton and Morse has several pallets of firewood... smile.gif

Lowes was sold out of EVERYTHING. No firewood, no kerosene heaters, no propane heaters, no snow shovels, no scrapers,no generators. All of the Lowe's in columbus were sold out of the above.

If you find a generator, you'll also have to power the blower, not just the theromstat. But I would imagine the furnace is hard wired into the house. I doubt it has a standard 120V plug.

BTW Nick, check yo PM's.

Guest Harris92
Originally posted by Nick GT:

I have a 4500 watt honda one at the house, Its nice and warm and I left the porch light on to piss off my neigbors.

hahaha classic,that might be a little below the belt though :D

Originally posted by Shitaro:

... I looked at the hardware stores today and they were saying that they didn't have any portible ones and the whole house ones run about 10k

That is such a load of HORSESHIT! Ten Grand?!? I don't fuking think so. Try $500. Tell them so shove it up their asses.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

That is such a load of HORSESHIT! Ten Grand?!? I don't fuking think so. Try $500. Tell them so shove it up their asses.

$10,000 buys a perminant generator that will run the whole house. It's hard wired into the house and comes on automatically. They can run on gasoline or can be plumed into a natural gas line. $500 buys a 3500 watt portable generator that you have to manually pull start and you have to drag extension cords outside to the generator.

We borrowed a cheap one from my uncle. We're talking an absoultely baby generator. It's probably $200-400. It could barely run the tv/dvd player. Couldn't even power my computer/cable modem/hub/monitor at the same time which was pretty disappointing. We'll be picking up a mid-size one (probably a $1000-1500 one) as soon as they come in stock. This 3 day power-less crap ain't happening again. smile.gif

Originally posted by The DropTop:

But I would imagine the furnace is hard wired into the house. I doubt it has a standard 120V plug.

Most aren't, you will find a regular three prong 110v plug on the furnace that can easily be pluged into an extension cord run to a generator outside.

Originally posted by Shitaro:

just out of curiosity, what all will one of those small generators power? Would it have enough juice to power several electric heaters and maybe some lights?

doubtful, those heaters pull some serious juice. you have to do the math for the application on a generator. a 3500 watt generator will run 3500 watts worth of stuff. ampsXvolts=watts.

A 3500 watt generator will run an electric furnace, but you'll want to keep the lights off. A 5000 watt one will heat and light a 5000 sq ft house quite well. I should know my dad has worked at United Rental for over 30 years. I've used about every piece of equipment they rent.

If your really hurting for electricity you can also modifiy an alternator run it off your car and plug it into your house. Thats one of the mods I'm adding to my offroad toy:)

Evan

We ran our 5HP 5000 watt generator for practically 81 hours straight. We've had it a few years, was $500 or $1K. 5 gallon tank lasted about 8 hours with that full load.

It powered our furnace, refrigerator, sump pump, microwave, a few outlets & lights, etc. The voltage varied so some electronics didn't work well, so we used a variable transformer to lower the voltage to run the TV/DVD/SAT etc.

I think you can get a full time automatic 10K watt generator that runs on natural gas or propane for like $2500, $10K sounds a bit high.