Can anyone do appliance repair?

JaSSon

I've got a frigidaire stacked washer/drier combo unit that is acting up. The drier works fine, but the washer will fill, agitate, then just stop. It won't drain the water out of the tub. I have tried clicking the little dial through the wash cycles manually, but it still doesn't do anything. It just stops. The washer is nothing fancy, no digital buttons or fancy controls, just a regular washer. Does anyone know what is broken or how to fix it? It's still under warranty, but they will only cover parts. Plus, there is a $50 charge for them to even come out to the house. By the time I add labor I'll be looking at a charge probablly over $100.

does it completely stop or does it make noises like the motor is running? If It's not running at all it could be the timer or the motor. When a washer agitates the motor spins one direction, pumping the water from the bottom to the top, and agitating the clothes. When it spins out and pumps out the direction of the motor is reversed, the pump is designed so that when it ins backward it pumps out a different outlet. And the washer transmission is designed to lock so that it will spin out the clothes.

The timer controls the power going to the motor, and the motor of course does what motors do.

I would agree that either the timer has gone bad or there may be an inline switch before the timer too it depends on the model. Double check though to make sure that if you or your "assistant" take out the part that it is still covered under warranty. Many times the only way parts are covered is if they are removed by the authorized technician. With that said it will be a lot cheaper to buy the new timer than pay for the service call.

the switch on the lid works, because it only agitates with the lid closed (or me holding down the switch)

I am going to try and get the part warrantied and ordered through work.

Actually it would have been $50 for the tech to just come out and look at the machine. That doesn't include labor.

• 2 weeks later...
Well, I replaced the washer timer, and that defiantely didn't fix the problem. Anyone else have any ideas? I've also noticed that the washer lid doesn't lock shut anymore, although it may only do that during a spin cycle, and not agititation.