PSP

Mowgli1647545497

Movie files are just mpeg4. Can be saved easily to a Sony memory stick. Music files can also be mp3 (not proprietary ;) ). I don't understand how you can bitch about the UMD discs. Nintendo has their own cartridges. A standard DVD is too big for a handheld. It also has a stardard USB plug. Yeah you have to use a Sony memory stick but they are pretty mainstream and have been around for awhile. What do you want? A slot of every memory stick :rolleyes:

So the only things that are really proprietary are the discs and the memory sticks. Which is what you would expect.

PSP>DS

Sony did screw up on a few things. Marketing. Most people don't even know about the psp let alone that it came out a few days ago. No TV ads, not much buzz. Another is the release date. March isn't a very hot month to launch a handheld system. Should have done it around Christmas.

[ 28. March 2005, 07:25 PM: Message edited by: Doug ]

You can't hook it up to standard outs ala TV - is that right?

If the rest of what you're saying is right then thats not too bad.

I had heard the media files had to be digital rights encrypted, and the mini disc format was not standard though the discs may be run-of-the-mill minidiscs. And the plugs weren't std, and the mem modules... scuttlebutt was the PSPs were rejecting "generic" mem sticks.

How much of that is people just bitchin on forums then? I appreciate the info.

Originally posted by Mowgli:

You can't hook it up to standard outs ala TV - is that right?

If the rest of what you're saying is right then thats not too bad.

I had heard the media files had to be digital rights encrypted, and the mini disc format was not standard though the discs may be run-of-the-mill minidiscs. And the plugs weren't std, and the mem modules... scuttlebutt was the PSPs were rejecting "generic" mem sticks.

How much of that is people just bitchin on forums then? I appreciate the info.

I don't know of any handhelds that hook up to your tv or one that you would want to. Its just a handheld version of PS2. The UMD is much more then a mini-disc. I don't know how much memory a minidisc can hold but it's nowhere near 1.8 GB that the UMD holds. The media formats do not have to be encrypted. Maybe the Full feature films that come on the UMDs but it will still play the usual mpg4 and mp3 files.

I don't know what you mean by the plugs weren't standard.

Memory Stick Duo slot

USB slot

External power supply terminals

Battery charging terminals

Headphone / Microphone plugs

Pretty standard stuff. And of course sony is going to use there own brand of memory stick. All of their electronics (computers, Cameras) do. Wouldn't make sense to use a competitors brand.

Hope this helps.

I'd get a PSP but I don't have 250 bucks to blow on one.

If you travel and want to show say your relatives some movies it'd be nice if you could hook it up to a TV ala your camera. The rest of the specs look good.

I don't blame Sony for following the Apple model of locking out competitors. The monopoly allows them to keep their prices up. But since I don't play nearly enough games for me to need a dedicated handheld, I'll wait for some other media players to mature, since thats what I'm looking for - just thought I could kill a couple birds with one stone in the PSP, but it doesn't make sense for that.

IMO - buy it to play games and look at the extra features as gravy.

the big problem with hooking a psp to a tv is, the psp games are made to be played on a 4.3" screen, if you try to play that stuff on a tv screen, its going to look like shit. and you can connect the psp to a computer via usb, and access the mem stick and put mpeg4, and mp3 on it for your enjoyment. im flying to LA next week and im really looking forward to having my psp with me.