Rotary Ramblings

Guest jpurdy2003

Guest jpurdy2003

Alright, so I got a call about an hour ago that a buddy with a turbo II is on the side of I-90 with his car engulfed in flames. Both him, his brother, and a seperate buddy of mine own now-incinerated turbo IIs. All these cars died a pyrotechnic death over the course of a month and a half. This leads me to what I now consider a fundamental automotive truth: unless your aspiration in life is to be on channel 8's traffic cam, avoid turbo rotaries like COFBA avoids soap. graemlins/burnout02.gif

Just kidding about that last part fellas. Jack Pee still loves you.

The fuel pulsation dampeners are notorious for cracking and leaking fuel. Most rotary sites have posts recognizing this and advise to replace the PD before it cracks. 15 years in an oven makes all rubber and plastic things brittle.

The turbo rotary's are much more likely to ignite the fuel due to the proximity, and high temperature, of the manifold.

i chose to replace my pulsation damper at the smell of fuel in my engine bay. eliminating it can have adverse effects, there are tales of people blowing their engines(if i remember right running lean) , unlike somethings mazda engineers put them in the turbo II for a reason.

regarless, i carry a fire extinguisher in my car.

just a little maintenance will go a long way.

Damn. That car sure can move... But SR20DET isn't a rotary, and that's the main reason the RX-7 interests me, because I want to see what driving one is like :D

Of course, if I could afford that sort of car, I wouldn't turn my nose up at it.

Originally posted by Mensan:

I'm pretty sure if my car was on fire I wouldn't take time to call my friends.

I might call the ones who had to suffer with me through last winter with a busted out passenger window. :D At least they could never say it *NEVER* kept them warm.

Originally posted by RX7dood:

depends on what you want out of the car, reliability get a first or second gen non turbo.

ease to mod (for the price) 2nd gen turbo.

if you got deep pockets go for the 3rd gen.

Heh. I work for calltech. My pockets seem to have holes in them no matter what tongue.gif Maybe if I save up and work a lot of OT I can get a 1st gen non turbo in a month or two.

Guest jpurdy2003
Originally posted by Mensan:

I'm pretty sure if my car was on fire I wouldn't take time to call my friends.

He called me after he called the fire department, our towing buddy, and his momma.

Originally posted by Kuruma:

Heh. I work for calltech. My pockets seem to have holes in them no matter what tongue.gif Maybe if I save up and work a lot of OT I can get a 1st gen non turbo in a month or two.

While not perfect, mine is a great daily and for sale dirt cheap. See the corral.

Originally posted by Rotarded:

The fuel pulsation dampeners are notorious for cracking and leaking fuel. Most rotary sites have posts recognizing this and advise to replace the PD before it cracks.

Originally posted by RX7dood:

i chose to replace my pulsation damper at the smell of fuel in my engine bay.

Plus eleventy billion. I've never owned a rotary or ever done any research into them and I've heard and know about this problem with these cars. If someone’s car breaks down because of their ignorance of a well-documented, easily fixable problem, I have very little pity for them.

Originally posted by Neo:

</font><blockquote>quote:</font><hr />Originally posted by RX7dood:

i chose to replace my pulsation damper at the smell of fuel in my engine bay.

If someone’s car breaks down because of their ignorance of a well-documented, easily fixable problem, I have very little pity for them.</font>If your mother went out and bought a first model year Focus, that has a major recall on the wheel bearings, and a wheel fell off on the highway, causing a wreck and the vehicle to be totalled, would you feel no pity for her, because she didn't know that there was a recall on the car?

Not everyone is an automotive enthusiast. Hell, many people I know are able to do more than turn the key, move the thingy on the floor to "d" and push the gas pedal. Not everyone knows or cares to look into what specific problems a certain car has. It's thanks to these people that the mechanics in our country are employed.

Originally posted by copperhead:

If your mother went out and bought a first model year Focus, that has a major recall on the wheel bearings, and a wheel fell off on the highway, causing a wreck and the vehicle to be totalled, would you feel no pity for her, because she didn't know that there was a recall on the car?

She'd have gotten a letter in the mail and it would have been all over the news.

I also assumed in stating that, that these people are automotive enthusiast, to some extent. I figured it was implied, but I guess some people need every implication spelled out to them or they feel they have some point they need to argue.