gotta question for people

civicboy375

I believe there is no state law banning u-turns. However, many cities throughout Ohio have their own laws against it. A friend of mine got pulled over once back in Marietta for doing a u-turn. The officer pulled out his lawbook, and discovered that there was no law there against it.

I suggest you do some research to see if it is a city law at the place you were pulled over. If it is NOT illigal, go back to where you did it and take some pics to bring to court to prove that you were in the right, showing that there is no sign preventing it.

In Columbus city limits, u-turns are prohibited unless otherwise marked. Most other cities in the area, and the rest of the state for that matter, are the same. Sorry bud, but you'd probably be wasting your time if you try to fight it. Just go look up the ordinance for u-turns for the city you got pulled over in. This will save you alot of time and money.

Originally posted by One bourbon, one scotch, one beer:

In Columbus city limits, u-turns are prohibited unless otherwise marked. Most other cities in the area, and the rest of the state for that matter, are the same. Sorry bud, but you'd probably be wasting your time if you try to fight it. Just go look up the ordinance for u-turns for the city you got pulled over in. This will save you alot of time and money.

+1

Guest Tony_K
My understanding is that in Westerville, U-turns ARE LEGAL except at intersections. I learned this from a conversation with a Westerville Police Officer because I have a friend on Spring Rd. who is forced to make a U-turn to get to his house. I am pretty sure he said that this applies to all streets in Westerville, not just Spring.

Actually, owning that car is exactly why I cannot afford around $150 in fines and court costs. I do have to go to court for it on monday, anyone know if I have a possibility of getting a 1 week extention on paying it, until I get paid myself.

Guest ronald-reagan
cant remember where it is (because it was like 5 years ago), but when i was doing the driver training deal, the instructor brought me into columbus and showed me where there was a legal U-turn sign, and the next intersection had a NO U-turns city wide sign at it. Both within city limits, both different messages...sounds to me like you could fight this ticket no matter where you live, just on the basis that the law, whether existent or not, just isnt known...hey, never know.

Originally posted by Peekachoo:

Yup, it's illegal city wide... thus what all the signs say... I'll throw my digi camera in my car and if I see a sign, I'll snap a pic of it tongue.gif

WOW, reading comprehension seems to be owning everyone these days.

I was pointing out that in the STATE OF OHIO, U-turns ARE INDEED LEGAL. Would you like me to type slower?

Depending on where he was pulled over for the U-turn (which he never once specified), it is possible that U-turns ARE LEGAL. It's equally possible that it was done somewhere that U-turns are ILLEGAL.

Damn.

Originally posted by copperhead:

I was pointing out that in the STATE OF OHIO, U-turns ARE INDEED LEGAL. Would you like me to type slower?

Depending on where he was pulled over for the U-turn (which he never once specified), it is possible that U-turns ARE LEGAL. It's equally possible that it was done somewhere that U-turns are ILLEGAL.

Damn.

Don't be a dick dude... Keyboard warriorism is stupid! besides, lighten up.. or would you like me to type that slower? tongue.gifsmile.gif

Guest BIG BIRD
Originally posted by copperhead:

Damn.

so what your saying is, its illegal to do U-turns in Ohio... :Dtongue.gif

Thanks for the help people graemlins/thumb.gif I was unaware of the law, as far as it being city wide, and as I said before, there was no sign posted. I do not make a habit of making u-turns, or reading up on traffic laws, therefore, I was unware of it. But never the less, thanks for the help...it's greatly appreciated.

Sign or no sign if it is illegal in the city you got busted. They don't have to put a No U-turn sign at every place were a U-Turn can take palce. The roads would be coved it them if they did. I have no idea what the reason they have to have to actually put one up. I think they just have a bulk supply of them and just put them up were ever they feel like putting one.