Super Pissed Rant

Crash1647545504

O.K can anyone who drives a better car than a dsm please speak up because until then your opinions are nothing more than statements of your personal preference. For you who have spoken on this if you like we can look to my other auto's and discuss build quality since thunderbirds and tranny exploding piston melting 3000 gt's are all the sudden so great. Why knock another man's choice in cars because you wrongly think yours is better.

Originally posted by stealthmonkey:

We would have 10 dsms to one 3000GT.

I'm sure sales numbers had nothing to do with that, lol. The DSM, being a far less expensive car, naturally HEAVILY outsold the 3000GT. The most base model of 3000GT's was still a few thousand dollars more than the most heavily loaded DSM model you could buy.

I wish my parents gave me a turbo all wheel drive car

-Marc

i hope your not talking about me because i payed for the car and every repair did the labor myself payed for insurance and tags and anything else,

my parents never just hand me things i pay for it

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by BOOSTEDJUICE:

O.K can anyone who drives a better car than a dsm please speak up because until then your opinions are nothing more than statements of your personal preference. For you who have spoken on this if you like we can look to my other auto's and discuss build quality since thunderbirds and tranny exploding piston melting 3000 gt's are all the sudden so great. Why knock another man's choice in cars because you wrongly think yours is better.

DSMs are crap. however, when they do run, they can be fast but, that does not take anything from the fact that they are still crap.

Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

I'm sure sales numbers had nothing to do with that, lol. The DSM, being a far less expensive car, naturally HEAVILY outsold the 3000GT. The most base model of 3000GT's was still a few thousand dollars more than the most heavily loaded DSM model you could buy.

the man speaks the truth.

Originally posted by stealthmonkey:

The only reason why I am like that. Is when i worked at a Mitsu dealership as a mechanic. I have seen all the dsm's and thier problems. We would have 10 dsms to one 3000GT. They are fast and come with a shit load of recalls and problems.

I didnt know mechanic's delivered parts :confused:

according to this site , the total number of 3000gt's sold was 79,536. Total number of Stealth's was 63,296, for a combined total of 142,832 3s cars sold in the US.

Unfortuanately, I could not find the sales numbers for all the DSM's, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are over 100,000 turbo AWD DSM's that were sold in the US, plus the other variations. IMO, a 10 to 1 ratio of DSM's in the shop to 3000gt's in the shop sounds dead on for their reliability.

But then again, you are comparing DSM's only to 3000GT's. If you were to add Stealths into the equation of 10 to 1, then that would be 10 DSM's to 2 3s cars, which equal's a 5 to 1 ratio. That sounds a little more realistic to me.

Why knock another man's choice in cars because you wrongly think yours is better.

i dont wrongly think my car is better, rightly think my car is more reliable. I'm not knocking his choice, I'm knocking the reliability of the Disposable Speed Machine, aka, the DSM ;)

I didn't say anyone shouldn't voice there opinions, but to make a statement of one's opinion and call it fact is ignorant. I'm not saying it doesn't happen but I haven't heard much about dsm's randomly catching on fire. I hear of caps melting on ecu's all the time but just bursting into flames not so much.

Guest infamous me 235

wow, considering selling the eclipse and buying another 240 and building the fuck out of it....

This stock 240 is so fucking fun, i've driven it about 10 times as much as i have the eclipse (one time), and no wheels have fallen off yet!

Originally posted by Kommunist Kopperhead:

I didnt know mechanic's delivered parts

Actually all the mechanics at that dealership ran parts. and none of them took smoke breaks every 5 minutes.

Originally posted by Kommunist Kopperhead:

Unfortuanately, I could not find the sales numbers for all the DSM's, but it wouldn't surprise me if there are over 100,000 turbo AWD DSM's that were sold in the US, plus the other variations. IMO, a 10 to 1 ratio of DSM's in the shop to 3000gt's in the shop sounds dead on for their reliability.

But then again, you are comparing DSM's only to 3000GT's. If you were to add Stealths into the equation of 10 to 1, then that would be 10 DSM's to 2 3s cars, which equal's a 5 to 1 ratio. That sounds a little more realistic to me.

The point I am trying to get across. Is that there are a shit load of recalls for these cars. Has nothing to do with how many were made. And I am on all the 3s boards a ton and never heard of a 3s buring to the ground from a fire. all i am saying about those cars is that they are disposable speed machines build cheaply and this is what you get.

Ben, I was refering to Geoff's statement on the first page; the one where he compared a DSM to a disposable camera that a parent would buy their kid before camp. ;)

I know you bought the car, paid for the parts, and fixed it yourself. Relax tongue.gif

Any updates? Car still fucked?

-Marc

Originally posted by B DUBS:

I did some work on a dsm, and about 2 weeks later after installing a 16g 255 pump 550 injectors, supra side mount, the rod snaped, and after that the car has nt run properly since.

Probably because most DSM owners are cheap and it never got fixed right. That's the main reason why they get a bad wrap. IIRC the rods are very strong in our cars, people will put forged pistons before they touch their rods. There was probably something else other than a 'huge' increase in power at work with that car.

Ben, did your wiring harness get burn up at all?

If not then it shouldn't be that bad, just get a 'new' ECU (~100, 150, I picked up a TCU for $75). Make sure you replace the caps before you put it back in this time!!!

Yes, this is a very common problem with DSM but is fairly easy to fix if you catch it before it's gotten too out of control. A few bucks in caps and your good for another 10+ years (if you use 105C caps you should be good forever). I've never heard of cars burning up because of this, smoking from around the dash area and taking out the ECU, yes, but that's about it. The cars (and in my case transmission) usually show serious 'problems' before it ever gets that bad. My TCU was working intermittently and when it would work the transmission goes into limp mode and I only had third gear (serious issue trying to drive around Columbus). The cars usually start running really funny and you hear massive amounts of clicking from the dash area with the ECU.

Sorry to hear about your luck with the car.

update is the car is still broekn, i went through the whole wiring harness and found a few melted wires i re ried them and seperated them more to avoid wires melting togeather again.

i still need an ECU i pulled the cover off and it was burnt all over i can get one new for 250 from a guy in indiana but untill i get 250 to spare im bumbin rides

thats cool i just wanted to make sure you wernt talkin about me marc :D

aslo NEO what you discribed as symtoms is exactly what i noticed when i was driving into work

I hear of caps melting on ecu's all the time but just bursting into flames not so much.

lol, did I read that right? So DSMs are low quality cars because they only some times start small fires, but very rarely burn to the ground?

The very fact that incendiary parts are even an issue throws up a big red "poor quality" flag. I've never heard of another car where an interior fire hazard was a consistent problem (that wasn't recalled). I've heard of cars that die in the rain, and cars that consistently blow fuses, but none with reoccuring problems of fire in the car.

I wouldn't think this would come down to "opinion", but to humor you, lets state these "opinions".

yours: "Just because a few cars catch fire every once in a while doesnt mean they are lacking in quality."

Mine: "if there is a consistent problem of superheating wires and starting fires in a specific make and model, within a specific year range, said vehicle is of poor quality."

I'm a QC inspector, I know how to rate this stuff. ;)

As for knocking ones vehicle choice, I didnt say "you're stupid for buying that POS car". I said "damn, that's one POS car, much like alot of other DSMs". I'm knocking the car, not the choice. ;)

Now, since everyone is thoroughly familiar with why the fire started, it should be fairly simple for ya to set things up so that it doesnt happen again.

Best of luck on your project, Ben.

Eric, I tried to explain to you what the issue with these cars is and how easy it is to fix but you kept interrupting me so I just quit. If you read my post and had any idea what a cap is you wouldn't have said "super heating wires". If you knew that much about a lot of other cars you'd also know that it does happen for different reasons in many other cars. You have small mans syndrome about your car and it shows oh too well, give it a rest. I'm not trying to say these cars don't have their issues but everyone (even people who own them) often blow them out of proportion and often the problems are due to people not knowing quite what they are doing or being cheap about fixing things (or lack thereof). Every car has it's quirks that often show themselves, this is one of them. It should be fixed on every one of these cars before it even shows symptoms and can be fixed easily. This is also a very well documented problem and shows the same symptoms all most ever time. If they are paid attention to and the person knows what's up, it's a $2 and a few hours worth of work fix.

Unfortunately for Ben this is just a hard learning experience about these cars. I read everything I could before I bought my car and I continue to learn as much about it as possible.

Ben, go read everything on www.vfaq.com if you plan to keep the car. The very first link in the electrical section is on the ECU Cap replacement.

sorry about that ben, the car NEVER had any problems while in my possession other than the tranny. the clutch must have gone due to the transmission failure. car did run pig rich, due to a 255lph on an almost stock car. i still say the blue smoke/smell of fuel is from the leaky ass flex pipe. it always did it before. BTW, u still owe me $300 graemlins/trout.gif

dont worry about it rite now, i just wanted to make sure u remembered, i know how it is. 2g took a shit on me after i dumped mucho cashola into it. just get the car together and running well