Man allegedly in al-Qaida plot to bomb mall in Ohio

Earl1647545488

• Replies 58
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Originally posted by WRallyBlue02:

WOW! Glad they got him! See, the Patriot ACT Works!

At least this person is actually being charged with something in this instance unlike many others. Under the Patriot Act people can be held indefinitely without being charged if they are alleged enemy combatants. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? What happened to checks and balances? :rolleyes:

Originally posted by Neo:

At least this person is actually being charged with something in this instance unlike many others. Under the Patriot Act people can be held indefinitely without being charged if they are alleged enemy combatants. What happened to innocent until proven guilty? What happened to checks and balances? :rolleyes:

What happened to people not flying planes into towers? I am all for it. I dont want to watch some osama bin laden like character say hahaha you could not gather enough evidence to convict me, then the next day go blow something up.

Guest nevarmore
Originally posted by Neo:

"Those who would give up security for safety deserve neither."

There are a lot of shooters on this board. How do you feel about the background checks? If the right person says something, your entire life is now subject to a background check. Everything you buy, everywhere you go, all your communications, and anything you do, even in privacy, is subject to scrutiny. If some beauracrat sees your name come up on his desk one too many times or if a computer programmed by the lowest bidder decides that you match a pattern (coding good pattern matching is very hard) you are fucked. You are thrown in a federal pen and left to rot because you do not have any rights. Your family can hire lawyers, letters can be sent, but the Supreme Court could not get you released because the law says that you have no rights.

I see the need for increased awareness, not just from the police but from everyone, but being more aware of whats going on is not enough justification for the egregious invasion of privacy that the Patriot Act allows. Its wording is even deceptive. What politican would vote against the patriot act? The one who intends to never hold office again.

Watching the trailer for Fahrenheit 9/11 (by gun grabbing fatass, Michael Moore), there is a clip with a US congressman who outright says that most elected officials don't read the bills that cross thier desks. That scares me, and should scare the shit out of you.

An armed and aware populace is the answer to our secuirty needs. Being armed goes beyond having a weapon, being prepared to fight in the courts and on the floor of the Senate is just as important. The current Democrat/Republican political machine knows that a populace ready to fight threatens the status quo that keeps them on top and they are working hard to stifle it.

Hoqw the fuck do you expect the congressmen to read bills that are literally hundreds or thousands of pages long? They get hundreds of them, too. They have them given to aides, who read them through and give them a summary. It isn;t like they look at the cover page and say "Ooh, pretty, Imma vote for dis wun!" I have yet to see someone thrown in jail and rot until they die because of the patriot act. You people can whine as long as you want to about freedoms being destroyed and such, but nothing of the sort has happened yet. One or Two people being treated unjustly < Hundreds of innocent people not being killed by radicals.

Originally posted by B DUBS:

What happened to people not flying planes into towers? I am all for it. I dont want to watch some osama bin laden like character say hahaha you could not gather enough evidence to convict me, then the next day go blow something up.

You could wake up tommrow morning and be put in jail for life without a trial and no one could do anything about it.

Guest Ranger_Man
man, fuck them crazy towel heads. its because of them that i cant even go to the columbus brewing company in the airport while im waiting to pick someone up.

Originally posted by Bananular:

Hoqw the fuck do you expect the congressmen to read bills that are literally hundreds or thousands of pages long? They get hundreds of them, too. They have them given to aides, who read them through and give them a summary. It isn;t like they look at the cover page and say "Ooh, pretty, Imma vote for dis wun!" I have yet to see someone thrown in jail and rot until they die because of the patriot act. You people can whine as long as you want to about freedoms being destroyed and such, but nothing of the sort has happened yet. One or Two people being treated unjustly < Hundreds of innocent people not being killed by radicals.

Wow. You need to study more. Namely history.

graemlins/nonono.gif

Congressmen should ALWAYS be aware of what they are voting for. OK, follow me here. When you are dealing with something ike the Patriot Act, that was being publicly covered even BEFORE it was submitted to be put into law, there should be an even higher degre of scrutiny. This was not a bill that should have been given to an aid to "sum up". NO ONE in this country should be treated unjustly. People have, none the less. I can think of one off the top of my head, Mumai abu Jamal. They didn't even need the Patriot Act for that one. Tell me how old you are. Tell me what you know about freedom. Tell me how many countries you've been to while you were defending it. Then once you're done spouting off, with your first amendment right that veterans like myself have given you, you can tell me otherwise.

[ 14. June 2004, 03:21 PM: Message edited by: Mensan ]

faris is in jail sentanced last year, adbi (whatever) was jailed in nov. of 03 for immigration stuff, and Now is also being charged for this plot. patriot act at work? doubtful, but it may have made alot of things, such as sharing information between organizations easier.

no one here was treated unjustly, thier terrorists that wanted to kill people, one of which is now a US citizen, who was being held on immigration charges, not as an enemy combatant.

The people exicuting the patriot act Report directly to congress, there are checks and balances.

some congressman i believe work hard on understanding what they are voting on, of course some aren't. It shouldn't happen but it does.

Eli, thank you for your service, everyone here tries to respect one another. I take NOTHING away from what people give out of thier own lives for the protection of others, but getting on a high horse because you served accomplishes nothing. Please don't put others down for not chosing to serve, it makes no one look good.

Originally posted by The Ogrish:

...getting on a high horse because you served accomplishes nothing. Please don't put others down for not chosing to serve, it makes no one look good.

That isn't it at all. How old is Bananular? He is stating an opinion that requires experience he doesn't have. It is his inexperience, and unfamiliarity with situations like this that I am trying to illustrate. I didn't mean to come off harsh, or arrogant about my service.