Know anything about AR15's?

RedRocket1647545505

My dad has a Colt AR15, and mentioned the other day that he was thinking of getting new 'A2 Uppers' for it while the assult weapons ban was lifted, since he figured they'ed be cheaper now. He mentioned that they used to be pretty expensive. I was thinking of getting whatever 'A2 uppers' were, for him for Christmas. I need to know some things about AR's first.

What's the difference between Pre and Post ban? What can you do with Pre-ban stuff, that you can't with Post-ban?

What all is included in A2 uppers? Upper receiver? barrel? whatelse?

What's a good place to buy this from?

How much am I looking at?

Thanks.

all the ban really did was stop production and sales of certain rifles and magazines and other accesories. other than that there may be minor updates from a weapon pruduced pre 94 till now.

As for A2 uppers I've never heard of that before so im not sure for prices best thing i can say is to check out a gun show. My neighbor went to one right before the ban expired and alomost picked up a AR-15 with a 203 for $1300.

A semiautomatic rifle is an "assault weapon" if it can accept a detachable magazine and has two or more of the following:

* A folding or telescoping stock

* A pistol grip

* A bayonet mount

* A flash suppressor, or threads to attach one

* A grenade launcher.

So postban rifles having a pistol grip could not have the others, pre ban could. As for a2 uppers, I believe its the entire upper assembly, down to the barrel. http://www.gunsamerica.com/guns/976507753.htm theres dpms one. A2 I think is an upper with a handle, and an A3 is an upper with a flat top.

Also I don't know if he has to have a colt upper or not. I forget it different companies are compatible, and you might want to know what barrel length he's looking for.

The way I understood the difference between the A1 and A2 is that they are older and newer versions of each other. The A2 being the newer of the two on wich they made improvements to the rifle. The biggest improvement was the forward assist wich is the button protruding at an angle behind the ejection port. Here is a link that may help you out http://www.biggerhammer.net/ar15/variants/#Note%201 the info is toward the bottom hope this helps