Questions on MCSE

boostedgtp

How important do you think it is for someone trying to get a job in the computer field to have there MCSE certification? I’m a tech at a garage and one day soon I hope to get into the computer field as some sort of trouble shooter. Is there any schooling or training you would recommend?

Carl

It'll probably get you in the door faster. Hell, here at Bank One..You might have your MCSE, but if you don't support HUNDREADS of servers, good luck.

I've been doing PC work for around 10 years. Never had a cert in my LIFE. I'm going to get my A+ here in a few weeks.

Certs are really necessary. I guess it depends on the company and how they look at training.

How long have you been doing computer work?

Even though you asked twice, I will only answer once.

MCSE certification depends on a couple of things,'

First and most importantly is what REAL WORLD experience you have to go with it. THe cert it's self has become the toliet paper of the computer world. At one time that cert was highly sought after, because NO ONE had it. I remember when the 100000 MCSE was certed. Now, there are MCSE's on every street corner and in every cheese line looking for a job. Reason is that they got paper that says they know something but no job history. And the training boot camps turn out more Microsoft certed people every week. Guys in the IT field that you tell about being an MCSE will pretty much look at you and say "so what".

That being said, guys that work in the IT field are not typically the ones that have final say on who gets a job. People that have no clue about IT typically gat to make that desision, and they see the MCSE certification in a different light. And if it comes down to you and another guy with the cert, if you ain't got it he's getting the job. Here is wher I remind you again about the boot camps turning more MCSE's every week.

So, the question that you SHOULD be asking is "What do I need to do to get into the IT field?"

And I am going to tell you.

1. Get your MCSE, everyone pretty much has it, so if yuo don't your WAY behind.

2. Get a CCNA (Cisco Certified Network Assistant) this cert is RAPIDLY becoming as meaningless as the MCSE, due to the numbers of people and the boot camps that will gaurentee that you will pass the test or they will retrain you for free until you do pass. The next step in the Cisco certification path is the CCNP (Cisco Certified Network Professional) Which is pretty serious stuff and says that you are on your way. There si NO bootcamp for this one. It takes alot of studying and work to get to this level. And it's a GOOD cert to have. But not something that you need right off the bat.

3. Get a CCDA (Cisco Certified Design Assistant)

This says that you have the ability to design as well as maintain networks. This si also a good but not required cert to have.

4. Some sort of a niche cert. Unix, Linux, Novell CNA (very good), A+ hardware,is a good one to have as well. Some sort of network security, firewall, or web design cert is a plus too. Everyone thinks about web design, and network security, so feed on the fears and needs that corperate America have.

5. Remember that you will have to take a bullshit computer job with bullshit pay for a while to gain resume fodder. Realize that you WILL have to jump jobs for a few years to get into better pay. It's the price everyone in the IT field paid, and is paying, but it will pay off. Also remember that when things get tight for a company, IT is its second biggest expense, the first being payroll. When the cuts happen, IT will ALWAYS get it first. I have been laid off 4 times in the last 3 years. So plan for it, save for it and ALWAYS be looking for the next job.

Mistakes to NOT make!!!!!

6. NEVER feel that you can't be replaced. I showed a company that I was saving them 3 times my salary in unneeded contractor costs, they said that's nice as I was laid off.

7. Don't close yourself off to certain aspects of IT. I choose long ago to NOT be a programmer, and NOT learn anything about programming. It cost me in the long run.

8. Never thing that OLD technology is not worth learning about. DOS, WIN98, NT4, and all sorts of stuff is still around, you will run into it.

A large account that I worked on was running Novell 2.11 (1980 something technology) they got away from it in 99 because it wasn't y2k, it was there ONLY reason to upgrade, it was stable, it worked well, it just couldn't tell time after

Jan 1, 2000 so it had to go. Microcenter has SHELVES full of books that are under 10 bucks that are FULL of useful info. Things like subnetting, router configurations, specs and standards, that haven't changed since they were created in the 70's and 80's. The original serial links between two mainframes, creating the first network and then ARPANET (better known as The Internet) are still are in use in places.

9. Never sell yourself short. You will know it you are cut out for IT quick, the shit jobs will filter you off if you aren't cut out for it. If you sell yourself short, to yourself and to others, you will NEVER make it. IT is NOT rocket science, it requires logical thinking and common sense to be good in the IT field, nothing more and nothing less.

Buck531 - I have haven't really done any computer work. I wrote a small amount of HTML and I helped network my house, but I like to trouble shoot and I like computers. I know that sounds dumb but I know a little about computers not a bunch.

Desperado - First, Thank you. If I can bug you a little more with a couple more questions. What is the best way to get these certs? I only ask because a buddy a work is thinking about going to a business on polaris pky that trains you to pass the MCSE in 6 months and is telling me that I should do this. The kicker is it costs $24,000. I currently take a general computer class at marion tech and dont know if I should contune going and get a degree or try some other route.

Thanks guys

That's a TON of money, but it's not a bootcamp. It's more like real training. ANd there is finaical aid that could possibly help pay for it.

Bootcamps are about $5000. MCES and CCNA are both avalible this way. But you are trained to pass the test, 6 months and you learn something, bootcamp is a week. You learn to take and pass the test, nothing more. Remember what I said before. You WILL have to pay your dues. With better training, it will help that along. But you still get to do the low paying shit jobs for a bit to gain experience on your resume. If you are already in college, or tech school taking computer classes, by all means stay!!! Certifications are one thing. A degree is aonther animal, and it is looked on in a better light thatn JUST certifications. If I were in your shoes, I would continue with the college, go to a bootcamp as money allowed and get the MCSE first, then the CCNA. Make EVERY attempt to work at the college in the area of computers or get the school to help you find a computer job, or a job pushing a broom at a computer company, anything to add to your resume. Remember that things that you have done job wise outside of the IT field are not real relevant in the IT field. They will show willingness to work but not alot else. You NEED something that shows some sort of hands on experience, that goes a long ass way.

Originally posted by Z,0,Six fodder:

How about get a book, set up some dummy boxes, and study?

This how I obtained my MCSE, CCNA, CCNP, A+, Net+ and linux+.

Never went to any sort of 5k bootcamp. Good god.

Computers are a set of rules, not a set of math equations...

Nate, sometimes your thoughts dumbfound me tongue.gif computer are a set of "rules" but sometimes it's easier for people to learn when it's in instructor led deal. I studied for my certs the same way Nate did plus Transcenders.... I can't stress that enough... transcenders will save your life on these tests.... GET THEM... if you can't figure out a way to get them, then dude, you shouldn't go into the IT field so stay working at the garage tongue.gif

Other than that... Desperado gave very good advice.

+1 on MCSE being as common as Type-R badges on rice cars.

+1 also to people who know about computers not being the ones who get to make the decisions in the end.

Your goal is actually the complete opposite of mine. I'd like to get *away* from computers and more involved with cars. Good luck, though, there is still money in computers, if you can afford to spend the money on certs. :D

I am CCNP, CCAI, CNA, A+ and N+. A+ and N+ where both books and experience. The CCNP was via a bunch of classes.

Yes there are CCNP boot camps but they cost $10,000 to $12,000 dollars.

MCSEs are pretty easy to find, but the recent changes in the path have removed some of the dilution. I wouldn't go to boot camp for it expecting to make $80,000 when you get out.

Entry into the computer tech field usually comes from a help desk somewhere, it sucks but can be a great foot in the door. Other than that you either need to know someone in the industry that will give you a shot and mentor you, or you have to lie you ass off. I wouldn't do that cause in this industry I can smell a lie like a fart in the car.

Certs are a tough call, nothing can replace experience.

Originally posted by Akula:

Entry into the computer tech field usually comes from a help desk somewhere, it sucks but can be a great foot in the door.

Again, not to be the Calltech whore, but if you want a help desk type job to put on your resume... Calltech has 2 centers in Columbus, both of them with tech support type projects that at least you can put on your resume, so at least this would be the right place to live for a little entry level BS. There's also Time Warner as well, and they pay more money.