Beer Review: Rogue Chocolate Stout

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

For the first time ever, one of my beer reviews was a group effort. Carlos, Denis and I took up the chore of deciding the fate of Rogue Chocolate Stout. I have had only a few chocolate stouts before and thought that I would give Rogue’s version a go. I can not recall if I have had other offerings from Rogue, but I do know that I have heard good things about them.

Bottle: The large in size 750ml bottle has a painted on picture of a below average looking girl holding up a stein of beer and the Rogue logo. The only other items on the bottle happen to be a wealth of information that states the following:

“Made with imported chocolate.”

“Ingredients: NW Harrington & klages, crystal 135-165 and Beeston Chocolate Malts. Cascade hops, rolled oats and roasted barley, natural chocolate flavoring, free range coastal waters & top fermenting Pacman Yeast.”

“Ebony in color with a rich creamy head. An earthy flavor of oats and hops that gives way to a rich chocolate truffle finish.”

Pour: The beer pours out with a overly large dark tan head that slowly fizzles down to a dark puddle that is a mere ¼” thick. The beer is DARK to say the absolute least. When the beer poured out I was actually surprised how dark it was. The beer smells like chocolate oatmeal.

Taste: Right upfront you are greeted with the sweet, sweet taste of chocolate. This taste slowly transforms via the carbonation into tasting almost like baking chocolate. That transformation would be in part to the aftertaste of the hops. The transformation is a good one as it adds an abundance of depth to the beer. You can also definitely taste the oats in the beer. This is a good thing as well as it lends quite a heavy mouth feel to the beer. The carbonation is very well done and consists of very few tiny bubbles.

Overall:

Carlos said, “It’s pretty good. It is a smooth beer, but the aftertaste is kind of chalky.”

Denis said, “It does go down smooth, but it tastes too much like cooking chocolate.”

I say that it is a well done example of the style. However, it is too strong for most people, but it is good if you want to try something out of the ordinary. Plus, it is kind of hard for me to turn down an alcoholic, bottled candy story.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/roguechoc.jpg

Carlos is on my left. Denis is on my right.

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Eatonup:

What do you think of Great Lakes Christmas Ale? I tried it for the first time last year and I was hooked. It has a great cinnamon, honey taste to it and it doesn't hurt that it's 7.5%.

we don't get great lakes brewing down here in texas.