Beer Review: Full Sail Amber Ale

Guest Ranger_Man

Guest Ranger_Man

From Hood River, Oregon comes an offering of Amber Ale from Full Sail. Being a west coast brewery I am expecting an overabundance of cascade hops, as that seems the going trend for those breweries. However, I like a good red beer, so I picked it up from Twin Liquors for $6.50.

Bottle: Heavy green tones with a bit of yellow are the only colors present on the labels. The top label says, “A great tasting malty sweet beer that has a reddish amber hue, a medium body and a spicy floral hop finish. Thanks for supporting our brewery. Cheers!”

The bottom label has a yellow circle with a sail from one of those competition boats in the middle. I must say that I like the way that Full Sail did the text on the bottle. Since Full Sail used different sized writing for everything it makes it very easy to separate out and read it all.

Pour: The beer is quite the vibrant maroon color with a light tan head that dissipates into a small amount of fine lace that will join you for the rest of the beer. The beer smells sweet like sugar coated raisins and there is only moderate carbonation visible in the glass.

Taste: I must say that I am surprised. This beer does not have the extreme amount of cascade hops that I expected. The beer has a dark malt taste upfront that has hints of toffee and maple syrup. The carbonation comes in nicely and is not overbearing by any means. The hop finish is very well done and has a similar taste to the aftertaste of a good General Tso’s chicken: A little spicy with nothing sticking out too much. Honestly, it is the perfect amount of spiciness to finish the beer.

Overall: I will admit that I got more than I bargained for in this beer. In the short time that Full Sail has been with Kelly and I, we have become good friends and shall continue meeting in the future.

Kelly says, “I like it. I wish there was more.” And that sums it up pretty well.

http://s90651370.onlinehome.us/fullsail.jpg

Haven't done a review in a long time, but here you go. Texas has been good :D .

Guest Ranger_Man
Originally posted by Nitrousbird:

Nice review....and who's Kelly (other than the person in the picture without the beard ;) ).

A real good friend ;) .