Good place to buy a handgun?

Guest busteryhyman

I personally really like the smith&wesson firearms. NEVER have I ever heard anything bad about them. Ruger is also a very well made weapon. I as many have already stated in this thread am a firm beliver of getting what you pay for as far as firearms are concerned. It is your decision but I would highly recomend a quality firearm.

Guest buckeyefarmboy
Originally posted by rarest truck on CR:

I personally really like the smith&wesson firearms. NEVER have I ever heard anything bad about them. Ruger is also a very well made weapon. I as many have already stated in this thread am a firm beliver of getting what you pay for as far as firearms are concerned. It is your decision but I would highly recomend a quality firearm.

The only bad thing about s&w is they sold out to the brady bill in the mid 90's therefore i do not recomend them. a good place to look for a cheap new or used hand gun is ohio valley trading in lancaster.

I'll throw my recommendation in there. If you want a very reliable pistol buy a revolver not an auto. Auto's are nice and flashy but can jam on you at a bad time. I would recommend a Taurus .357 2.1/4". It's compact, relatively cheap $269-299 and it's reliable as anything your going to find. The nice part about the .357 is that you can shoot .38 wad cutters out of it at the range which are cheap and easy to shoot. Then you can load in some .357 rounds for serious duty.

My 2 cents.

Hanguns are extremely subjective. I like all types to some degree, but it seems I am more comfotable w/ autos. My roommate is the exact opposite, preferring Revolvers to Autos. Although both of us shoot either respectably, I chose an auto for carry and he chose a revolver. I have to agree that the simple design of the revolver makes me more sure that each squeeze of the trigger will ALWAYS make a boom, although for me I just had to shop more carefully for a reliable auto that I like. Initially I was going to go w/ an Airweight S&W but found it difficult to manage followup shots w/ any degree of accuracy, even though it looked like a clear winner "on paper" (size/weight/power)

Anyway..I'm rambling. I found the best way to find a gun you really like is to try alot of them. Just handling them at the store is a good start to narrow the field, then rent some of the "finalists" (if you can in your area...) New Albany Shooter's Supply is a good place as well as the afforementioned range in Lancaster, to see if you can actually shoot them well. I was surprised to find that I really liked and shot the Kahr P9 very well. I had never really been a fan of the looks so much, but form over function is the key I guess.