IT Crash

excell

Guest weismc

Well, i dont know if this counts. But i have a year to go on my Systems Degree. And could not find an internship for the life of me. I remember when i started school some of the juniors where getting calls from companies asking them to work for them.

Any one got any connections?

Guest visualpoet
Originally posted by BiG BeN:

whats your dads name? and why did you get into that part of the business? wireless is hot right now,and has been for awhile,and will be for as long as people want their phones to do fancy,useless things.

Father-in-law, not father, and it's Lee Hawkins. I just happened to be offered jobs installing routers and ADSL bays. (and with two kids, it was really hard to turn down the money) I wouldn't mind doing wireless work, but I'm kind of used to being home every night for my kids now.

Originally posted by telsea:

i work at worldcom/mci/compuserve now smile.gif

I worked at Worldcom/MCI for 5 years up until 2002. I was able to leave and take another job at VZW before I was rif'd. What area do you work in? I worked with Cisco routers and the StrataCom BPX/IGX/MGX's on the 'CompuServe' ATM/Frame Relay network.

-Rick

Hmmm,

I feel for alot of you, but IT has been good and bad to me.

I've past 3 years I have been laid off 4 times, including the last one that I did get called back and only lasted from March to May.

I have worked for every large VAR in the city of Columbus and have helped to close the doors of many of them. My resume reads like the who's who of resellers that I have worked for in the past two years and of the ten or so companies I worked for there are 2 or 3 still around, and they aren't fairing well from what I understand.

As far as the money thing, I got into this 10 years ago, I was making 6 bucks an hour, and was hired as a runner. That lasted two days until the guy I was working for figured out that I knew alot more about PC's than he did. So I fixed em and he ran after em.

I watched the rise and fall of the dotcoms, had freinds that were making and spending more money than I may ever see, and watched them ALL go bankrupt. The IT crash got me twice with company closures, one of which I had serious investment in and was owned by a close personal friend. That one was the only one that really hurt. 9-11 and the downturn caused me to be downsized out of my last job. But I am still the webmaster for the ISP that the family that owned that company also owns. I haven't so much lost money in the IT biz. But I haven't gained any either. I am expecting an interview for a state union IT job in the nest few weeks for 20 an hour, that will progress over time to 45 an hour. And with the standard union 4% raise that state employees typically see, the pay rate will be over 50 an hour by the time I make that pay classification.

I can say that even with the layoff's and other bullshit, for a guy with NO schooling in computers, and nothing but experience and God given intelligence, I am not doing bad. And by enlarge, IT has been very good to me over the years.

i make about double what i was making three years ago. it is still the fastest growing job market. the problem is, techs are a dime a dozen. education doesn't mean shit. i'm a prime example of that. i'm twenty-three and never went to college. i have upwards of a hundred certifications now. i'm authorized to do warranty work for companies such as ibm, hp, compaq, apple, sony, canon, epson, lexmark, etc. i have my actc, acsa, a+, n+, linux+, cla, mcp, cne, cna, etc. right now i'm working towards my cle. companies don't care if you went to college for six years to get a masters in computer engineering. companies want to know you can do the work and do it well. my suggestion: don't waste money on college if you want to work in the it field. i've only been working at my current job for seven monthes. this place came to me asking for me to work for them. since i've been here, i've seen three new people get hired. i know pomeroy computer resources is hiring right now for another tech or two. the market isn't that bad. just don't get into a niche. that'll kill you. learn as much as you possibly can in the various sections of it (software, hardware, networking, etc). i got laid off a couple of years ago, but was able to find a job right away because i'm one of very few apple techs. i know, i know... you all hate macs. but it saved my ass and has gotten me to where i am today. i'll work on anything though.

goodluck to those who are currently looking for employment in the it field. if you need help, email me your resume. i'm always willing to pass resumes on to people i know.

I make about double what I made during the dot com boom currently. I went to college but never finished my degree in electrical engineering. I managed to get about 3 years of top level experience even though I wasn't getting paid a lot at the beginning of my "carreer" and building on that put me where I am now. The only reason I'm currently considering finishing off college is I don't have much left to do to finish and if I ever decide I want to be a mis-manager having the degree may help me.

I was laid off only once, a week before 9/11/01. Finding a job after that was a bit difficult, in fact, I worked in Dayton for nearly 10 months before I found work back in Columbus. :( I seem to be in a bit of a different area of IT compared to most everyone in this thread, as I'm a Software Engineer, not a tech support person. I've been doing software development for over 8 years now, part of which was when I was active duty Air Force. The money is good, but now you can't go asking for the sky as far as salary goes. I make about what I did 3 years ago, but also suppliment that from time to time with some part time consulting work. smile.gif

While I am in "IT", my company is in the healthcare industry and needs me to support and develop it's in-house applications. Being in IT is one thing, being an IT person at a company in a strong field is another. For what it's worth, I develop in ASP, T-SQL, .NET, Crystal Reports, and PHP/MySQL on the side. If you keep your skillset up to date (speaking as an engineer, of course), there is no reason why you can't stay employed for a long time. But you have to be good at what you do... smile.gif

Originally posted by Just a Cruiser:

I worked at Worldcom/MCI for 5 years up until 2002. I was able to leave and take another job at VZW before I was rif'd. What area do you work in? I worked with Cisco routers and the StrataCom BPX/IGX/MGX's on the 'CompuServe' ATM/Frame Relay network.

-Rick

I'm in the noc..I've been here almost 6 years, I've worked on the CPS/MWAN network (packet and frame), from installs to maintenance.. now doing VPN..

Originally posted by telsea:

I'm in the noc..I've been here almost 6 years, I've worked on the CPS/MWAN network (packet and frame), from installs to maintenance.. now doing VPN..

Now that was one freakin maze of a builiding. I talked to a few people while I was there and it seems that there were no openings anywhere..I wouldn't mind working there. I now know the system yall use..rofl