Koi Pond Questions

nurkvinny

I am buying a house that already has a Koi Pond in the back yard. There are currently ~60 fish in this pond. I want to know, from those of you who have (or have ever had) a Koi pond, the level of upkeep and effort involved in maintaining this kind of pond.

I like all kinds of animals, and have kept indoor fishtanks before, but I am wondering if I'd be better off to sell / give the fish away to someone else, and fill in the hole.?

Thanks.

Guest Crankshaft
<font color ="midnightblue"> Koi ponds are awesome. My neighbor has one with about 30 fish in it, maybe less. He doesn't seem to spend too much time taking care of it, but perhaps I just don't see him working on it. Get some algae eaters and drop in some fish food from time to time, should be kosher. They're really nice to just sit next to and watch; it's very relaxing.

We dont do much to ours at all. We have a pump that circulates the water to a small stream and water fall, which aerates the water. We skim the leaves and things every so often. In the winter we put a pond heater in it to keep a hole in the ice for escaping gas and in the spring we clean the ponds.

There are about ten or twelve fish in our ponds and they have been in there for almost four years. They seem happy.

Guest crx34

Well it depends. what kind of equipment is there? pumps, skimmer, filter,ect. How big is the pond? That seems like alot of fish, it must be a pretty decent size. I have heard that you should only have 1 fish for every 250 gallons. If there are to many fish they won't grow to there potential.

I am almost completed with mine. Its 25'Lx12'Wx4.5'D. i RUN 2 pumps, 1 filter, 1 air pump & a uv sterilizer. They do take alot of maintance, checking ph, aklinity, hardness, nitrate, nitrite on a daily basis.

Check out http://www.koiphen.com/forums/.

yeah, sounds overpopulated for anything but a huge watergarden. i've had one small pond)250gal) and plan on a much larger one at my new house. unless that pond is humungous or the filtration is superbadass then you may want to start thingging it out.

P.S. i will gladly take any smaller fish for late night river adventures :D