2.5 Gigapixel pic

Buck531

Originally posted by NurkVinny:

Interesting, but it's really just hundreds of smaller photos chopped together.

Yeah, but the really bad ass thing they did was make the software to splice them together. If you read it, no software that is out right now will do pictures that big. It's also looks like whatever software they made, is being used across multiple PC's. Simply bad ass.

Together with the definition of a new, large-image file format, many existing software tools and scripts had to be rewritten.
Hell, one of the senior design groups the year I graduated did the panoramic picture thing, and they only did the mechanical and electronic part for panning. They did that with pan and tilt, and that was only part of the project.

That's why I posted that link too, it sounded like people though they took the picture with one camera shot.

Originally posted by Big Slick AK:

It was 3:06 when they took that picture.

Actually, it took them 1 hour and 22 minutes to take all of the pictures. 3:06 was just in the middle of that time span. So either those two portions (I found two clocks on towers in the middle top of the picture) were taken very close in time to each other, or they went in and 'made' them the same time via Photoshop or the like.

I wanted to find another clock farther away from those two to see which one it was, but couldn't find any. Anyone else see any other clocks?

You can see where they spliced the pictures together in a few places, mainly on the street to the right of the picture. A bus and car seem to be molded together and a mans legs look like they are chopped off. Other than that it looks like the quality is awesome.

Did anyone notice the old windmill to the left of the left clock tower?

panned over to the street, zoomed in and read the plate numbers on the cars on the street.

I have heard tale that there are camaras in space that can look down on a clear day and take a picture of a pack a smokes in perfect clarity.

Realize this, if this is available to the public for general use, what does the government have in the top secret spy stuff it the realm of photography?