rest assured fatties!

copperhead

Biostatistician Mary Grace Kovar, a consultant for the University of Chicago's National Opinion Research Center in Washington, said "normal" may be set too low for today's population.
So what they are saying is that since people are getting fatter, why not just change the scales?

Joel, alot of that has to do with body/bone structure (small, medium, large). BMI doesn't take that into account and is a horrible indicator for how 'healthy' a person really is. Obviously you have a large body (muscle) and bone structure so you are going to weight more than a smaller 6'1" person, assuming all other things being the same (body fat %). I probably would be considered a medium build for my height. I probably have around 10% body fat, maybe less (just a guess), weigh 165 and am 5'9". I just happen to be the stereotypical candidate for the BMI, sitting right at 25. But if I were a big guy and had the same body fat%, I'd be considered obese by the BMI standards.

Body fat %, lung capacity, endurance, strength, blood pressure, cholesterol levels; these are all things that typify a 'healthy person' to me. The only thing that being in better shape in any of these things, or anything else anyone can think of is going to reduce your risk of developing certain health problems. I think it's pretty obvious that the opposite can also be said. But you could still be a 'healthy' person that is at a higher disposition, just because of genetics, than a person who is not 'healthy'. It’s only going to help you in your certain situation. You will also feel better mentally and physical all around. If someone can't see the benefits of not being a fat lazy ass, then let them be that way.