Question for Net-Admins

Guest stvbreal

Guest stvbreal
I'm having a problem getting software installed on an XP workstation on a domain. Here's the deal. The file to install the software is Setup.exe. Durring install it creates a folder in the users temp folder in Documents and Settings. The install populates the folder with files it needs for installation. It starts to install and then an error message appears "Cannot find file "***.msi" in directory "the temp folder in the users Documents and Settings. The file is there. But continues to say it can't find it. I added her to the Admin group so she should have full rights to install software. Any suggestions? Thanks.

I assume that this is only occuring on this specific PC. And that you have loaded this software on other computers without problems from this media (CD) previously.

You said that you added her to the Admin group, but did you add her to the local machine admin group or to the domain admins group.

Personnaly aI would load the software logged into the box as administrator, then give her rights to read and execute the directory if it didn't work once she logged back into the box.

What software is this that you are haveing problems. The other thing to do is run windows update, if it's a common piece of software, chances are that someone else has had this issue and Microsoft has a fix for it.

Guest stvbreal

Forgot to mention I did add her to local admin as well.

It's some sort of Tax reports retrieval software that downloads files from the IRS.

I did log in as admin, installed it and gave her rights to use it. Still puzzles me though.

Originally posted by Wonka:

Are you sure it's not an apple?

Check the local users and see what permissions are as above stated. I thought you knew this stuff.

new wheels on evo?

I know enough. :D

It's not permissions.

Those are the stock wheels. ;)

Guest stvbreal
It's a single file downloaded from their site which resides in a temp folder on the local drive. The .msi file is generated during install. Afer install, in my case error/cancel install, the folder/files automatically get deleted.

after download and install, make copies of the files it unpackages into temp dir. you say the msi file is there? run it. xp is a bitch. alot of older programs will only run for the user who installed it. so if you installed it as admin, it might have problems running for her, etc... not sure if that's what you're experiencing, but might be. does it give you a choice as to where to unpack the files?

Guest stvbreal

I try running the .msi file and it will not install. It says it needs to run Setup.exe in order to run install.

I tried copying the extracted files to another folder but everytime I run Setup.exe again it creates another folder and pulls the infomation from it. I also tried editing the .ini file which shows the directory in which the .msi file resides and changed the path to where I saved the folder containing the .msi file and others.