hello :)

sciongirl

i'm looking at that basic rider site now, lots of good info there.

i might just try and show up and see if i can get in. im sure someone wont show up..

and im not a model so no pics.. sorry lol

If you can't get into a state subsidized course, check out a Harley dealer for their Riders Edge course. It's just repackaged MSF and typically you can get into a class within a week or two. It's $300, but the extra cost may be worth it if you don't want to wait. I did it through Rider's Edge and was happy with the instruction.

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

+1 Good job!

You'll need your learner's permit to take the course...also from the BRC site:

Rider's Responsibilities You will be riding a motorcycle during this course and therefore you are required to wear protective clothing during the riding portions of this course consisting of the following:

• Over the ankle sturdy footwear
  • Full-finger gloves
  • Long-sleeved shirt or jacket
  • Long pants without holes -- preferably jeans
  • DOT-approved helmet if you have one -- limited number of helmets available to borrow
  • Eye protection if using an open-faced helmet or a full-face helmet with the face shield open

In order to take the basic rider course, you are also required to have a Temporary Motorcycle Learner's Permit or a Motorcycle Endorsement on your driver's license.

First off welcome to the site :welcome:. Next I would highly recommend the MSF course. They will start from the very beginning and when you leave you will feel so comfortable on a motorcycle. I work at a local dealer and have never had a customer come back with a bad experience. Good luck!!!!

yeah that's what i was thinking.... why so much?

The state picks up the tab for most of the expense and only charges you $25. When I took it, I could've waited almost 4 months and paid $25, or take it the very next week for 300. I decided the wait wasn't worth the cost savings.

A SV 650 older 2002 or older style I think weighed in close to 380 ish with fuel and oil.

The older 250s I think are also about the same weight since it is mostly steel not aluminium. But the 650 will have ALOT more power. Both are 2 Cylinder machines so learning to start and stop will be easier.

Even the Ninja 500 is a 2 cylinder machine which helps with first timers learning the clutch.

If you are not sure if you want to ride get into the MSF or if you know someone who has a small bike to work with you. As MSF courses probably won't be open till late fall or next year, one of us in your area may have something to work with you and get you started.

If someone has a scooter to start off with that is perfect.

haha i could barely keep up with the posts, but they are hilarious.

for real i would start on a 250 or something like that if you have no idea how to ride and its your first bike, better to be safe, My first bike was a GSXR 1000 and that was just stupid.

I have not taken the course so i dont know much about it, but i hear you get an insurance break if you take the course! worth it for me...

:welcome:

I'd just try and walk-in to the MSF course, I got in the class on my first try as a walk-in at the Broad Street one... everyone wasn't so lucky, but you might be.:dunno:

I have yet to decide if there is a certain bike that is the "right" bike for a rider starting out...of course we could all argue what is the most responsible decision, but I'd go with something you like and feel is reasonable. You can mess yourself up on anything (some a little quicker than others!!). If your responsible (easier said than done), I don't think you'll have a problem no matter what you get...