hello :)

sciongirl

• Replies 91
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

i was told to not get the 250 because i'll out grow it and want something bigger... is that something i'd really grow out of? or not want?

Yes you will! My first bike was a buell blast...500cc single cylinder. Very small bike. I "thought" I'd be able to ride it a few years and then upgrade. I was ready for another bike within a few months. I got bored really quick...plus I was dating a guy that had an R1 and I could NOT keep up. I'm still learning on my bike...still the slowest girl on this site but I am very happy with my bike. It is heavy and the first month I had it I dropped it 3 times at stop signs (and one red light hence getting the nickname timber in the group). You're 2 inches taller than me so that will help. I was forced to get a suzuki b/c they are the shortest for females without lowering it (the newer ones anyway). You can also get boots that will add a few inches on you. Take everyone else's advice and do the course (study for the temp test b/c it's harder than what u think). Then go to some shops and start sitting on the bikes to see what feels comfortable to you. Make sure you make some friends on the board that know what they are talking about and take one with you when ur serious about buying. Most of the people on here are pretty friendly.

Oh IF you want a cruiser that is going to be a whole different ball game. There are more to choose from where u r flat footed BUT they are much heavier. Hopefully this time next year I will have a VRod to add to my collection! Hope some of this helped! Sorry if its a repeat but I'm not reading the whole darn thread!

And WELCOME!!!!!

welcome!!

you are exactly my height and weight and i have a 250. its light and you can touch the ground just fine! with extra room to spare.

i was told to get something bigger.. but i personally didnt want to take that chance. the 250 is very forgiving if you dont know what your doin. but then again, i learned on my bike, then took the msf course.

i also didnt think i would need anything bigger, and still think that.. i dont plan on goin 100+ on any road.

but good luck on your decision!

I don't think you will out grow a new 250 that fast! Like ninjachk08 said they are more forgiving then some of the newer 600's and other bikes out there. It is a lot easier to ride if you are not afraid of the bike. Check your pm I sent ya one! Good luck with your search!

I started with a GS500 and moved up to a GSXR600 w/in about 2 months. The 600 can be intimidating though. There's really no way for you to know what bike you are going to want unless you try some bikes and the best way to do that is the MSF course.....which I haven't personally taken yet. I signed up in April and am scheduled for Aug 21 but I'm looking forward to it! Going to sneak in early when I get a free wknd.

Oh, and welcome to the site AND I am a Scion girl too!! Mine's not modified like yours but I still love it :D

And I started it...

FYI Cincinnati and I have a 150cc scooter...... I can't ride it right now though... :cry:

Get out; and I thought I was the only one on here with a scooter! A small scooter is not a bad way to start out, very light and a good way to develop riding skills, you could always upgrade (I use that term loosely, cause I love my scooter) to a motorcycle later.

:scooter:

:nono: This thread went downhill fast..:lol:

:lol: Don't they all here?

Anyways, :welcome: The 250 is a GREAT starter bike, you can pick them up pretty cheap, and in a year or so, you can sell them for what you paid for them, granted you don't total it or anything. Not only that, some people are happy with them, I was at the dealer last week picking up a new helmet and a guy was there just bought a new 250, he had his old one he bought new in the early 90's and loved it so much he just bought a new version of the same bike!

so basically even if you don't like it, your not gonna waste any money on it, and if you do it right, it may not cost you a penny!

:) either way, welcome to the addiction!

I got a discount for taking the state class, also got another bump down for taking the advanced class too, thru grange ins. I haven't had any problems with them , and they keep lowering my rates. Of course I'm an old fart on a cruiser.... but hell I can't complain about reduced rates. Also, if you aren't sure what kind of bike to get go to a dealership and sit on all that strike your fancy, find one you are comfortable holding up at a stop, that is how I got started. But, I will tell you I still have made several modifications to make my ride more comfortable and well, MINE! So, always go into the deal with the approach that you will want to change things to make it yours, so negotiate the price so you can still afford to customize down the road and not be over your personal budget.

Welcome to the site. If you plan on being aggressive at some point, then you might want to get something bigger than the 250. If you are not a speed demon, then you should be fine with the 250. I also agree that you should take the MSF course first. I paid $100 when I took it in Cali.

Do you want a sports bike, cruiser, or something in between?

welcome!!

you are exactly my height and weight and i have a 250. its light and you can touch the ground just fine! with extra room to spare.

i was told to get something bigger.. but i personally didnt want to take that chance. the 250 is very forgiving if you dont know what your doin. but then again, i learned on my bike, then took the msf course.

i also didnt think i would need anything bigger, and still think that.. i dont plan on goin 100+ on any road.

but good luck on your decision!

wow 4 pages since friday afternoon lol

yeah i have NO plans on ever going over 100. there is no reason i see i'll need to, so that's good. i feel better getting a 250 ... and they are cheaper!

i see some people havent taken this msf course. if i don't take it (which i will) what's the normal steps in getting the license? and for a temp, how often do i have to renew it or something?

You could spend $75 and be fully licensed in no time...

- stop at the BMV, pickup a motorcycle booklet and study it for a few days

(or download it here... http://bmv.ohio.gov/driver_license/mc_lic.htm )

- stop in the BMV, plop down $25 for temp packet (I think it was $25), pass that and get your temps.

- schedule your driving test with the BMV

- Rent a scooter from EasyPass for $50 and blow right thru your test with ease! http://eazypassrentals.com/

Then later on, take the ms course ;)

scion girl is actually hot guys cant find the pics on Columbus racing some where haha

go sit on a few different bikes and find whats most comfortable one of my buddies she got a 250 cause shes 5 4 and it first her perfectly and she seems to enjoy it her self,