Son of a bitch.

rl

Anyone read the dispatch today?

http://www.columbusdispatch.com/news-story.php?story=dispatch/2004/04/16/20040416-A1-00.html

I guess I'll be getting collectors tags soon. If they do away with sunoco 94 I'll be pissed. If they raise prices MORE I'll be pissed. I spent $75 already this week on gas, It cant get worse than that.

EPA tells Ohio: Cut smog

Central Ohio drivers among those facing additional costs to meet clean-air rules

Central Ohio residents face a future that may include paying for more expensive gas and exhaust checks to help fight smog.

Armed with a tougher national standard for ozone, a key ingredient of smog, federal clean-air regulators put areas of Ohio and 30 other states on notice yesterday. States with counties that don’t meet these standards have three years to come up with plans to reduce smog.

That means factories and power plants in 33 of Ohio’s 88 counties will have to find new ways to reduce pollution, and unpopular E-Check exhaust tests likely will continue in Cincinnati, Cleveland, Dayton and their suburbs.

For the first time, people in Franklin, Delaware, Fairfield, Knox, Licking and Madison counties might be forced to get their cars tested as well. They might also have to pay 3 cents to 5 cents more per gallon for cleaner-burning gas.

Ohio Environmental Protection Agency officials won’t say E-Check is coming, but they caution that something will have to be done about car exhaust. Some environmental groups argue something should have been done a lot sooner.

Bryan Clark, conservation organizer with the Ohio Sierra Club, said state officials knew years ago which counties were going to fail the new smog standards. He said the U.S. EPA was more than generous to give Ohio and other states another three years to come up with a plan.

"People should have been at the table three years ago," Clark said. "The state’s been dragging its feet, and the Bush administration hasn’t been forcing them to do otherwise."

Federal EPA officials, however, defend the grace period.

"It takes time to implement," said Bharat Mathur, the acting regional administrator for the U.S. EPA in Chicago. "This will require a significant amount of time and cost."

Heidi Griesmer, spokeswoman for the Ohio EPA, said her agency could do little until the federal government made its announcement today. She said the state is still waiting for federal cleanup guidelines.

"We don’t know when that’s coming out," Griesmer said.

Smog is created on hot, still days when sunlight cooks chemicals spewed by cars, power plants and factories.

Central Ohio had the most unhealthy air in the nation for two days in June. It was the worst smog the Ohio EPA had seen in 15 years.

Smog can damage lung tissue, spur asthma attacks and worsen lung diseases such as emphysema and bronchitis.

Still, economic development officials have complained that the new rules will make it harder to grow and attract new businesses.

Ty Marsh, president and CEO of the Greater Columbus Chamber of Commerce, said Franklin County’s new smog status will be an "impediment" for attracting certain types of businesses.

"We will always continue to tout the strengths of our region," Marsh said.

Many politicians would rather not force voters to pay to make their cars run cleaner.

E-Check currently costs $19.50 and is required every two years. If cars fail the test, their owners have to pay for the repairs.

Cleaner gas would cost $12 to $20 more for every 10,000 miles driven, based on cars that average 25 miles per gallon.

State and industry groups have opposed the new standards since 1997. After four years of court battles, the U.S. Supreme Court ruled in 2001 that the U.S. EPA has the authority to create and enforce tougher standards.

The list of Ohio counties federal regulators released yesterday is similar to a list the state EPA submitted in a July report. That report asked the U.S. EPA to exclude 10 counties from the new smog standard, including Morrow, Pickaway and Union in central Ohio.

The Ohio EPA argued that each of those counties should be excluded because they are mostly rural and produce relatively small amounts of smogcreating chemicals.

Amy Elsea, director of the Pickaway County Chamber of Commerce, said that just the prospect of being named to the federal smog list scared away developers looking to build an ethanol plant there.

She said plants already there, including those operated by DuPont, Georgia-Pacific and Crane Plastics, also would have been forced to put tighter pollution controls in place.

"This is definitely good news for Pickaway County," Elsea said.

Looks like I'll be changing my address back to muskingum county, cuz the Jeeps screwed and the camaro wouldn't have a hope in hell of passing echeck.

If not we'll have to find friendly shops that will rubber stamp the echeck for us. :mad:graemlins/bsflag.gif

Clean air is overrated, who wants to live forever? Just kidding I am fond of clean air.

Guest lustful

i dont' think bikes apply to this.. but this is bull... seriously. i didnt read anything about coshocton county being e checked.. i am trying to think how many cars in my household actually have cats.. hmm. but wow that just sucks thank god for a testpipe and my cat is sitting in my room.

word of the wise to all involved though.. it is my understanding and this has been on 3si.org frequently.. if you go out and hone on the car, and get the car hot.. you will still pass.. cats are for lower temps of the car when it isn't hot enough to burn up the excess gas by itself

i think that is.. but getting it hot with no cats in there... and people most of the time pass with flying colors

What a damn joke...the EPA consists of idiots and liberals who can't put 2 and 2 together. The smog in Licking county, where I live, is not produced by our county, it all drifts east from Columbus...

Oh well, I'll just have to change my cars to Richland county, good thing we still have land there. tongue.gif

graemlins/puke.gif

I can put a cat on for one day every 2 years and lean the car out a little. Shouldn't be that big of a deal. I think a lot of us have seen this coming down the pipe for a while now. It still sucks balls though.

CJ

Guest lustful

whoa... wait a minute.. so with collector cars plates then we aren't subject to the whole E check routing?? that is my understanding at least right??

what qualifies a collectors car

Here in Louisville we had this same thing only it was called VET testing it cost 11 frickin dollars. Me and most of my buddys payed in spare change just to piss the people off. One of the greatest secrets though was to take your cat and hollow it and just put it around the pipe. As for the exhuast gas check Rubbing Alcohol prior to visiting the testing center always seemed to do the trick. ;)

But in all yes this shit is gay.