Big screen television questions

Guest 10secondMouse

Guest 10secondMouse
I'm in the market to buy a big screen in the next few days. I'm gonna get stuck with a projection tv due to my price range (under $1500.00). What brands are good buys, what brands do I need to stay away from? I'm pretty much set on size of 46"-52", which is about perfect for the size room it will be in. I have read hundreds of online reviews about most of the large names, but are all positive. I want real life feedback, not edited reviews. The tv will be used for typical television and dvd watching, I'm not a gamer so poor game graphics won't bother me. Thanks, Nick.

With that price range you are looking for a CRT projection screen. Meaning the style that has been around forever. Dont count it out though. IMO, they look amazing now as compared to the old non HD compatable ones.

Ive been looking in the same price range as you for a long ass time. A while back Best buy had one that I almost completely rationalized. The next day when I had decided to do it, the price jumped three hundred bucks. So it goes.

This shows you what best buy has. I plan on getting the toshiba 46h84 when they lower the price again. If you can rationalize the extra cash the 51 inch version, aka the next one down, is a good set as well. Stay away from RCA, Akai, and most american makers.

You can check out the HDTVforums at www.HDTVoice.com for actual experiences. (I swear there is a forum for everything.)

toshiba is junk, get the 51" hitachi or 51" sony or 46" panasonic. And with that price range you are stuck in the crt rear projection t.v.s. They just have awfull off camber viewing, and those screen protectors suck in heavy light.

I know 3 kids with the 46h84 all of whom have had no problems.

All rear projection tvs will need adjustment as soon as you get them home. If you are daring and mechanically adept, as most of us are... you can buy the convergence point alignment CD and do it yourself. It makes a big difference.

cnet has good tv reviews.

Guest 10secondMouse
Well, me and my wife spent over 4 hours at Best buy and HH gregg last night. I was not impressed with the Sony sets. Magnavox=shitty, RCA=fair, Mitsu=way overpriced. So I have my choices narrowed to a Toshiba or Hitachi. The salesman at HH Gregg was cool, I asked him what models the service dept. fixed most and he said "follow me". He took us to the service room, out of 8 big screens, 6 were Sony! So this saturday I'm just gonna flip a coin and buy either a Hitachi or Toshiba.

Sony non projection CRTs are top notch. The rear projectors, not so much from what Ive heard. You will be happy with either of those.

Remember also, Everything is negotiable. You can easily talk them down a few hundred and add in free shipping if you are good.

I used to sell tvs. In my experence from standing around looking at tv's all day, Hitachi will give you the best picture for the money. Sony will give you the best sound for the money. Buy the tv for the picture and get a 400 dollar home theater in a box.

Later,

jay

I've had two mitsubishi's, a 45in and now the 65in wide scren and loved them. If you buy one try best buy or somewhere where you can get like 2 years same as cash then you can afford to get a bigger tv. Thats what I did.