Topic: Service Plans

cNeutron

I work at Circuit City and i had previously worked at Best Buy. I have been selling service plans at both places for about 4 years. I personally believe in them for most items; big screen tvs, subs, and among other things. I believed in them before I worked there so it wasnt like Best Buy gave me a bias opinion on them. What i do wonder is why some people are so much against them. I ask you guys the general public do you disagree or agree with them? Sometimes i have a hard time believing why people DONT buy them when they protect against the problem they were just bitching about. Others i do understand why they dont. So try to keep it on topic and have a educated response. More so then just saying they blow or something to that effect.

I feel your pain.Ive been selling them for six years at OMAX.The reason why people dont buy them in my opiniom is that they know if they bitch and whine enough about something most retailers will take care of them anyways.So why spend the extra money if they will be taken care of.

most electronics come with a warranty on them already....

if I was going to buy something real expensive like a projection tv or a plasma screen I'd prolly go with a service plan

but a set of speakers or a car stereo? half the time the plan costs almost as much as the item does. if it isn't busted in 90 days to a year its going to outlive the car its installed in...

retailers make money on service plans becuase they know that only a small percentage of the items they sell with an exrended warranty will ever actaully need repaired or replaced. its the same reason insurance companies make money.

its not really a scam but for the average person its just not really worth it.

Wont buy one on stereo/tv stuff. I take good care of the stuff I buy (not saying others dont) and have never had one break, knock on wood. DVD Player was 139 about 5 years ago, the service plan was 60. Pluis it had a 1 year warranty. Call me cheap, but off of my surround/tv/dvd/cd/vcr I probably saved over $500.

Jewelry is one thing I will buy the plan on, new Movado service plan worked out to be around 50$ a year, already had them do a battery change, that alone would have run 80.

I believe completely in service plans. I've had so many random things happen to my computer equipment for instance, that it would be stupid of me not to. Being able to take my stuff back to the store months later and say "Fix or give me something better - NOW" and it actually happening is a pretty damn good thing in my eye sight. Peace of mind to me is priceless.

T.c.

I have never paid for a service plan, but I grew up poor and perhaps that makes me a little more frugal. I have been asked many different times to purchase one, and by not doing it and never having a product failure I am ahead several thousand dollars. However, my wife has a friend in MD who bought a printer, and shortly after that her house flooded. She had paid for the plan, and when the power supply was immersed in water, they sent her a check for the full purchase price($300), even though she was only asking for the power supply ($45). The printer (with a new power supply) is on my desk right now, working perfectly.

Guest racinbird
All depends on what you are buying, higher priced things and things that tend to break more then yes. But some things would be outdated by the time they normally break anyway and you would want a bigger better one.

Its not about the item breaking. the beauty of the department store warranty is the fact that you get a product for the term of the warranty. Have a $30 plan on $50 speakers...well blow them after a year and get the new ones. HEY you just saved $20. Same thing applies to most other products. figure out how its useful to you, then go from there. Im on my 5th video game system and i only bought one 4 years ago. And since the prices have gone down i've gotten a few free games outta the deal.

hahaha smasung will not come out to your house, i sell service plans on t.v.s everyday, and i know how manufactor warrenties work, and they suck. If anything goes wrong with your t.v you either a take it to the closest service center to get fixed, "if demmed defective" or you pay for the service call, and then they pay for the labor to put a new part in. its a joke their warrenties

I buy them on big items. The reason people hate them is because they are what you make money on so you try to sell it on everything. "Have you seen our DVD replacement program on that DVD Mr. Smith?"

I don't need a service plan on my DVDs I buy out of the $4.99 bin.

I recently purchased a DLP bigscreen, HDTV upgrade for my directv and got the plan. The people that installed it smelled and didn't work for circuit city. Then when I have a claim Circuit City was going to dispatch the tech, have me pay for it and then get reimbersed. I DON'T THINK SO. I had to force them to get involved at NO cost or potential cost to me.

If you are going to sell the plan you need to make damn sure the company is going to stand behind it.

Guest GSRchick714

I've never bought anything big enough worth purchasing one. And even if I did, I don't think I'd get one...it just seems like the odds for the product breaking are smaller than the odds of it not...

I don't wanna waste the extra $$

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

I've never bought anything big enough worth purchasing one. And even if I did, I don't think I'd get one...it just seems like the odds for the product breaking are smaller than the odds of it not...

I don't wanna waste the extra $$

but youll regret it when something does break... and you really not saving much, break the amount down into months and days, most plans are less then a buck a day :eek:

Originally posted by B:

but youll regret it when something does break... and you really not saving much, break the amount down into months and days, most plans are less then a buck a day :eek:

Can you still punch a hole in a subwoofer and get a new one no questions asked?

Originally posted by 94whitegsr:

graemlins/thatfunny.gif

i just bought a tv and purchased the extened warranty... wasn't going to but i'm weak and the sales guy talked me into it (bastard)

if anything goes wrong with it you are going to be happy you did. Especially if it is a HD tv, because problems do arrise

Guest GSRchick714
The only thing I ever got a service plan on is my phone with Nextel. I just got it the other day and you don't have to sign up from the beginning. I signed up that day, got it fixed that day, and will cancel it at the end of the month smile.gif All for $5

Originally posted by GSRchick714:

The only thing I ever got a service plan on is my phone with Nextel. I just got it the other day and you don't have to sign up from the beginning. I signed up that day, got it fixed that day, and will cancel it at the end of the month smile.gif All for $5

You know thats a great plan, you get a fixed or new phone and only have to pay 5 bucks one time. Wait though what happens in lets say 1-2 years if something does and your phone breaks. The first question they are going to ask you is "did you purchase the service plan?". Your response will have to be "no", right their you just eliminated many options for you. You then could go i wanted a new phone anways, but if you had the service plan you now have to pay full price. The beauty of the plan is that you can apply the money from the old one to the new one. So in theory your little save a few bucks early has cost you a lot more in the end. Dont try the whole it wont happen to me, because it could to anyone and i have had to many people come back to me and go wow i wish i would have gotten it.