Iron Pony becoming a Yamaha dealer

zerocrash

I hope they fail at being a dealership. I really dont need the competition, and who is going to sell these bikes the 18 year old kid making 8 buck an hour. They are going to have to build another store.

You don't need the competition? Are you a dealership principle? If so, maybe you ought to ask why all the dealerships in town have essentially given up on accessories.

Everyone thinks Iron Pony robs people because they sell a ton of stuff at retail. Thing is that they have almost half of their store with products they buy at prices no other shop in the region can. Stuff like $400 jackets from Tecknis that are being sold at $79. That's not ripping anyone off. Their mainline product is new and current and no need to discount at all. The beauty of IP is that they carry everything. I challenge any of you to go in to ANY store and get what you need in stock...

The Yamaha thing makes sense. It's the Star accessories, the chemicals, the Yamaha branding, etc. that intrigues them. The bikes? Who in Ohio actually makes good money on bikes? Nobody. The way the system works, dealers don't make ANYTHING on bikes. The reason is due to dealerships that turn and burn units and give them away. It is a plague that has killed the market in Ohio...

Outside that, I say that IP has shown it knows what it is doing. If they had a bunch of screw offs working for them and running the show, they'd be gone long before now. They know exactly what's going on, they know how shitty the market is in CBus and they know that thanks to piss poor shops in the area, they have a really good chance of setting a standard that others are not going to be able to meet.

All I can say is that the nay sayers out there need to get passed opinions and look at the big picture. They've succeeded more than failed. The numbers show they know what is going on and their staff is some of the best around...

the icon jacket i have is 450 there plus tax which would probably make it around 480 or so out the door. i got it online for around 300 shipped.

my helmet is 477 dollars there. would be around 5 OTD. again, got it for 300 shipped online.

so ok. i concede i should have said 40% not 50 ;)

to be fair, i got my teknic there too... 60 bucks for what is probably like 150-200 online. not bad at all.

dont get the wrong idea, i dont hate iron pony or anything like that.

ive spent many a paycheck in there. got my tires there, chain, oil, filters etc etc etc. when i got my chain, i think iron pony was like 6 dollars more than what i found online. i will gladly pay 7 more to not have to wait for it to be shipped.

and you're right about having lots of stuff in stock. although they didnt have a 14t front sprocket for an EX500. i dont think they have an EBC floating front rotor for it either ;)

the icon jacket i have is 450 there plus tax which would probably make it around 480 or so out the door. i got it online for around 300 shipped.

my helmet is 477 dollars there. would be around 5 OTD. again, got it for 300 shipped online.

so ok. i concede i should have said 40% not 50 ;)

to be fair, i got my teknic there too... 60 bucks for what is probably like 150-200 online. not bad at all.

dont get the wrong idea, i dont hate iron pony or anything like that.

ive spent many a paycheck in there. got my tires there, chain, oil, filters etc etc etc. when i got my chain, i think iron pony was like 6 dollars more than what i found online. i will gladly pay 7 more to not have to wait for it to be shipped.

and you're right about having lots of stuff in stock. although they didnt have a 14t front sprocket for an EX500. i dont think they have an EBC floating front rotor for it either ;)

First, the jacket you were looking at couldn't have been current. Reason being is that Icon (Parts Unlimited) has an advertising policy that doesn't allow more than a 10% discount. So, not a current set of items with your examples on the jacket and helmet... I can guarantee they have Icon lids for cheaper than anywhere seeing they bought a bunch on closeout.

Second, you're right, when I say they have about everything, I am referring to current crop machines that are popular rides. EX500s while cool, aren't what I'd call popular... Things like Gilles rear sets for an R6 is something you don't find "in stock" at most places. Marvic wheel sets for a GSXR, Leo full systems, etc...

So, again, on current items outside violating advertising policies, they are as competitive or more competitive than anyone else. Now, some companies do not have advertising standards that need to be followed, but about any of the popular companies do. ASTar, Icon, Arai, Suomy, Fox, Oakley, etc... So, really, it is no different if you buy it at Motosport, Burt's, Pony, etc. The only thing you will pay more at Pony than the others on CURRENT product is sales tax. If you go internet over Pony for a measly 7% sales tax amount and use them as a fitting room only, they don't need your kind of business...

If you are going to use an example, please tell us the style and such. Otherwise, again, it sounds like you are disgruntle and grumpy and not wanting to accept their success...

Kinda defensive aren't we? are you an IP VP or something?

Not at all. All I am trying to point out is when you try and argue a point, you need to be exact in what you are trying to prove. People like the Shark RS2 guy don't realize these lids are on sale and on closeout in all dealerships via the distributors. So, they aren't current and what IP has in stock may not be on sale like the internet stores have, but it is because they didn't buy into the close out inventory from TR, PU, etc...

So, if you want to say IP sells stuff for more than anyone else on CURRENT stuff and not closeout stuff, make sure you know what you're talking about before you go and bash a shop with unfounded statements...

A LOT of stuff is available from distributors at any time of the year on overstock inventory. Shark helmets are on closeout via at least two different big vendors and if an internet company buys into the closeouts, they'll sell them at their stAndard margins and yet be cheaper than a shop that has existing inventory from when they were NOT on closeout.

Point is simple. If you want to compare current inventory, they are NOT more than anywhere else. Maybe 10% more as again - RETAIL STANDARD AGREEMENTS stae shops and internet companies CANNOT advertise cheaper than a set % below retail. In store, they can do whatever they want... So, current product, they are NOT 50%, 40%, 30%, etc more than what you find on the web.

As far as closeout product, they could be as some inventory is from when it wasn't purchased at closeout prices or IP decided that the closeout prices weren't good enough to entertain and therefore don't buy in. But, overall, when speaking on closeouts, they have more inventory at a discounted price than even MJ USA who only buys 3 years or older inventory...

I just hate when people bash when they have no clue. I get a little defensive because I am in the industry and know what goes on behind closed doors. Not saying I am an expert, but I don't fling out info that isn't correct...

First, the jacket you were looking at couldn't have been current. Reason being is that Icon (Parts Unlimited) has an advertising policy that doesn't allow more than a 10% discount. So, not a current set of items with your examples on the jacket and helmet... I can guarantee they have Icon lids for cheaper than anywhere seeing they bought a bunch on closeout.

the jacket is a retro daytona and the helmet is an HJC ac-12 carbon.

and id agree that the EX500 isnt as popular as say a GSXR600 or something, but i do see a fair share of them on the street :)

and if you think IP is expensive, then just order from them online! I've gone in and tried stuff on, and then ordered it online. their online prices are a bit cheaper. and anything over a certain price is free shipping i believe.

the jacket is a retro daytona and the helmet is an HJC ac-12 carbon.

and id agree that the EX500 isnt as popular as say a GSXR600 or something, but i do see a fair share of them on the street :)

As far as the helmet, it retailed for $419 full boat. Not sure how you were quoted at $500 OTD with tax, but Iron Pony has them at $377 as does all the other big internet players I looked at. $77 cheaper at $300 isn't even close to 50% or 40%...

HJC is distributed by three distributors - Castle, Helmet House and Sullivans. I don't think any of them have a Retail Standards established as to what dealers can advertise prices at.

The jacket on the other hand is everywhere at $450. Even Pony. To get it at $300 shipped, it could have been a one off deal where they sold it and had to change the prices once Parts Unlimited caught it. I know Icon/Parts Unlimited has a Retail Standards agreement that states you cannot discount Icon products unless non current...

This jacket: http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/ICON-RETRO-BLACK.jpg/Brand/ICON/Class2/Jackets%20and%20Vests/Class3/Leather%20Jackets/Class1/ is apprently surrent as I found it nowhere for $300.

Again, just pointing out facts so bad things are not spread that shouldn't be. This is how shit gets stirred up and people get bad reputations when not warranted.

http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/ICON-RETRO-BLACK.jpg/Brand/ICON/Class2/Jackets%20and%20Vests/Class3/Leather%20Jackets/Class1/

and if you think IP is expensive, then just order from them online! I've gone in and tried stuff on, and then ordered it online. their online prices are a bit cheaper. and anything over a certain price is free shipping i believe.

Now, they will charge a lower price on certain items via the site vs. the store. It's a matter of convenience actually. You buy from the internet out of ease and if you go to the store, you pay slightly more, but get it today. It's the same at Burts, Chap, Cycle Gear, etc...

As far as the helmet, it retailed for $419 full boat. Not sure how you were quoted at $500 OTD with tax, but Iron Pony has them at $377 as does all the other big internet players I looked at. $77 cheaper at $300 isn't even close to 50% or 40%...

oops. my bad dude, you are absolutely correct.

it is in fact 377, not 477. i must have been smoking pcp and thought it was 477.

The jacket on the other hand is everywhere at $450. Even Pony. To get it at $300 shipped, it could have been a one off deal where they sold it and had to change the prices once Parts Unlimited caught it. I know Icon/Parts Unlimited has a Retail Standards agreement that states you cannot discount Icon products unless non current...

This jacket: http://www.ironpony.com/ironponydirect/product.asp/ImageName/ICON-RETRO-BLACK.jpg/Brand/ICON/Class2/Jackets%20and%20Vests/Class3/Leather%20Jackets/Class1/ is apprently surrent as I found it nowhere for $300.

thats the jacket. i got it on ebay. i forget the seller's name but it seemed that he had a decent amount in stock in his ebay store. i will see if i can find it, although it was last year, so who knows if he is still around...

but...

$370 - http://www.newenough.com/pricing/private/142

$320 - http://www.metricbikes-superstore.com/0625iconretro-c-813.html