please join me

cptn janks

Actually I don't see how any of these people would have predicted this because most of the time New Orleans doesn't see the bad wrath of the hurricanes. This is pretty much the first time they have had to deal with this in that city. Now Florida and those areas, yea, predictable, but most of these people never thought it would happen to them so why would they leave?

And what kind of idiot builds a city that is below sea level?

you do know that when NO was founded, in 1718, that it WASNT below sea level, right?

however after three centuries of shoreline erosion among other factors, the city has sank.

They can shoot at helicopters that are trying to bring aid to the area

lol that was an isolated incident that happened ONE time :rolleyes:

i love how everyone keeps bringing that up, and making it sound like everyone left in the city is sitting around waiting to shoot at a helicopter :rolleyes:

Actually I don't see how any of these people would have predicted this because most of the time New Orleans doesn't see the bad wrath of the hurricanes.

actually they did predict it sort of... in 2000 i belive, FEMA released a list of possible major disasters that could occur in the US. first on the list: a terrorist attack in NYC, second was a hurricane hitting new orleans, and the third was a major earthquake in san francisco.

KevinR: here is an interesting article that was published in the october 2004 National Geographic Magazine:

http://www3.nationalgeographic.com/ngm/0410/feature5/

The storm hit Breton Sound with the fury of a nuclear warhead, pushing a deadly storm surge into Lake Pontchartrain. The water crept to the top of the massive berm that holds back the lake and then spilled over. Nearly 80 percent of New Orleans lies below sea level—more than eight feet below in places—so the water poured in. A liquid brown wall washed over the brick ranch homes of Gentilly, over the clapboard houses of the Ninth Ward, over the white-columned porches of the Garden District, until it raced through the bars and strip joints on Bourbon Street like the pale rider of the Apocalypse. As it reached 25 feet (eight meters) over parts of the city, people climbed onto roofs to escape it.

Thousands drowned in the murky brew that was soon contaminated by sewage and industrial waste. Thousands more who survived the flood later perished from dehydration and disease as they waited to be rescued. It took two months to pump the city dry, and by then the Big Easy was buried under a blanket of putrid sediment, a million people were homeless, and 50,000 were dead. It was the worst natural disaster in the history of the United States.

When did this calamity happen? It hasn't—yet. But the doomsday scenario is not far-fetched. The Federal Emergency Management Agency lists a hurricane strike on New Orleans as one of the most dire threats to the nation, up there with a large earthquake in California or a terrorist attack on New York City. Even the Red Cross no longer opens hurricane shelters in the city, claiming the risk to its workers is too great.

Not everyone effected was in NO. The Hurricane made landfall in another town and there are plenty of people effected/ruined due to this storm. I agree, they should have evacuated NO, but I am not focusing on that, I am focusing on the children that didn't get to make choices about leaving because they are too young. I am focusing on the small towns that have been blown out of existance. You better believe there is more to life than what is seen on TV.

you do know that when NO was founded, in 1718, that it WASNT below sea level, right? however after three centuries of shoreline erosion among other factors, the city has sank.

And what is to say about the pump systems that couldn't even pump water out 30 years ago during a thunderstorm? All of the drainage problems this city has had and people are suprised the state is a giant bathtub??? Such a sad state to see they still call people damn Yankee's. and still are fighting the civil war. I remember being down there visiting my dad, Ohio plated car, we would be hit at stoplights and pushed through intersections.

What has happened to America? So surreal in the United States of America to see Shepard Smith reporting on a desolate highway, with corpses of the fallen, just visible from the camera angle. To hear about the chaos, racial tension, and devistation this has caused is a wake up call. How could we, the United States of America, allow for all these people to die? It really sickens me. They say the goverment was behind the curve with rescue efforts, like a phrase could displace meaning of thousands dead.

With a city and state so poor, (sidenote: Cleveland is not the poorest city anymore), I hope the Federal Goverment is going to write an IOU to itself for rebuilding.

P.S. If this happend to you.....wouldn't you appreciate someone extending a helping hand? Donate.

Nick, Geoff - You guys are assholes. Remind me never to do something nice for either of you two, since you can't seem to do it for any others.

honestly I am not going to donate anything cause they had plenty of time to get the fuck out of there in NO. If they can afford to leave near the coast they can afford to buy thier own food and water. Sorry call me what ever but i dont feel bad at all for what has happened. i guess it should be a rude awaking to people who live in those areas. I have a friend who lives down there. he has like 4 kids and has a hard time finding a decent job and he said that there were plenty of shelters outside the city where it was safe. with plenty of supplies. All the things on the media is cause its all the morons who are still in the city who havent left cause they are looters. and all the people who are still there and alive are what you see on TV. Sorry there is a worse cause than that to help. like maybe help donate to a LOCAL charity or do something here locally. Why help the people that look like they are hurting when all they did were just stupid to not do anything before the storm.

(thats my two cents)

you are brain dead that all u have is 2 cents.do you have common sence was you born selfish i pray to god that you or your family is never in need or down on ther luck.what gos around come around you reap what you seoul.

I gave diapers,baby food formula and baby food to my Church on Sunday.They had a truck that left at 1:00 on Sunday to head down there full of food,supplies and basic medical supplies.They went from my vehicle right into the truck to head straight down there.Obviously there are some idiots down there(shooting,raping people and stealing plasma tvs,dvd players etc)but you can't let the other people die because of a few people.I think a LOT has went wrong down there but I want to be part of the solution not the problem.

Sorry there is a worse cause than that to help. like maybe help donate to a LOCAL charity or do something here locally.

not to be an ass but i don't recall you donating 2 weeks ago when I biked 82 miles for cerebral palsy research.

oopsie, i guess thats not a good cause either, those fuckers probably saw it comming right?

if they have two leggs and can walk then grab your shit and leave. How do you think people in the old times even in poverty survived they got the fuck out of there by foot if need be. Its called natural selection. and im not sad by that at all.

In "old times", they ALL died because they didn't have a weather channer OR radar. Galveston mean anything to you?

You, my "good" man, are FUCKING IGNORANT. Better hope you never need help, you douchebag.