V8 into 4cyl Mustang question

Turbo Ben

As far as I know the holes are there you just bolt it in. Thing is, getting a motor in a car is the easy part. Hell I have set 350's in chevette's. No they don't really fit well, but it will sit in there. exhaust is another story, but that ain't what you are concerned with. I would sit down and figure out if you are goign to want to run EFI or a carb first. Second is what sort of money do you have to spend to do this swap. The hard parts of a swap like thing are made easier with some well spent money. If you are going EFI, get ready for some big bucks or some headaches. Moving a computer into a car without a computer is a bitch, if it DOES already have a computer, it's worse. So that's the first pile of money, a stand alone EMU. And we are talking $1000 to $2000 for that, but it plugs in, the fucker will fire up at the hit of the key every time and always be in perfect tune, pretty much. The other route there is a carb. Much less expensive, requires no PC to tune, but there is NO carb that will run a perfect mixture at all throttle positions in all RPMS and loads.

Second is the Ignition system. Again, money or you better know your wiring. Easiest thing to do is go spend $200 and buy a MSD 6A or a Mallory Hyfire. Reason is that if you supply it with 12 volts and a signal from the pickup in the distributor it will fire and run. Trying to setup a factory system, especially one that is part of the computer is a bitch. It's not that it's not possible it's just tiem consuming and complex to get all the wiring in right. And for those that notised, yes, computer distributors don't hav a vacuum or a mechanical advance. But for $135 MSD has a box that will do it and is fully tuneable for the advance curve, and will not change over time like a factroy mechanical advance will because of the springs loosing tension.

As long as you have all this considered, go for it. I have seen 460's in fox bodies, and they will set tight in with the right kit. So dropping ina 302 or a 351 is not going to be hard at all.