Any Computer Geniuses here?

Todd#43

Let us know if you figure it out.

One last shot: Do the functioning computer use the 2wire device as the DNS server or do they use the ISP's DNS servers? I think they use the 2wire device, but which are you making the non-working computer?

The functioning computers use the 2Wire device as the DNS Server, and that's what I set the non-functioning computer to use.

The "hosts" file only NEEDS to contain:

localhost 127.0.0.1

I believe your 2wire device will add entries to it to resolve the URL to the web interface. If you have a spyware/adware scanner it may also add entries to point bad URLs to 127.0.0.1 so you won't accidentally visit a bad web site.

That wouldn't have anything to do with your problem unless the website you are trying to visit to test your internet connectivity has an entry in your hosts file.

The "hosts" file only NEEDS to contain:

localhost 127.0.0.1

I believe your 2wire device will add entries to it to resolve the URL to the web interface. If you have a spyware/adware scanner it may also add entries to point bad URLs to 127.0.0.1 so you won't accidentally visit a bad web site.

That wouldn't have anything to do with your problem unless the website you are trying to visit to test your internet connectivity has an entry in your hosts file.

All that's in there is 127.0.0.1 localhost - nothing else.

Eh...I'll keep trying.

This might be getting more complicated. Try another cable. If you're plugged into a router try another port. You might want to try resetting the modem/router as well. You may want to uninstall/reinstall your drivers. Also did it work before?

And if you're really fed up with it just use one of Dells restore cds. They work on any Dell. Save your stuff and reinstall the OS. NUKE IT BABY!!!

This might be getting more complicated. Try another cable. If you're plugged into a router try another port. You might want to try resetting the modem/router as well. You may want to uninstall/reinstall your drivers. Also did it work before?

And if you're really fed up with it just use one of Dells restore cds. They work on any Dell. Save your stuff and reinstall the OS. NUKE IT BABY!!!

The CAT5 Cable that I'm using now is fine - I used it with one of the known working computers.

The port is also fine - It worked with one of the known good computers also.

I reset the gateway days ago, and probably 50 times since then.

I've unistalled and re-installed the adapter drivers so many times I'm surprised that I havent burnt up my USB port.

I've heard of some tools that are supposed to rebuild the Winsock and TCP stacks - maybe I'll try one of them tonight. :confused:

In case anyone is still wondering the computer is fixed.

Seems the TCP and/or Winsock stacks were corrupt.

I downloaded a "tool" and it worked fine with (so far) no ill effects. If anything pops up down the road, I'll let you know.

Thanks to everyone who offered their suggestions!