Know anything about Porsche?

Bgbdbn

Looking at an 88 944 turbo. Anybody have any experience with them? Pro`s or cons? What kinds of mods are good and whats not? Not really looking to mod it a lot, but maybe do something at a later date. Any info would be great. Thanks

The 944 and 928 are the Bastards of the Porsche world. On the 944 the wiring usually is crap and the 4cyl Turbo engine can't take much in additional power. I have seen people using aftermarket harness for a street rod and installing a small block chevy to solve 90% of the issues and the other problem is things like window felts and gaskets not only very expense but hard to come by using 3rd party parts suppliers. I have done work on 944 and things are basic and replaced a computer for a employee 5 years ago and it cost her $600 plus trade.

88 and 89 turbo's are the years to have. The standard '88 cars still had the smaller K26 turbo but the '88 Turbo S and all 89 Turbo's got the K28 turbo and power potential with these turbo's are much greater.

with bolt on's you'll get 300+ at the rear wheels without any problems on either turbo...but it's more of a stretch on the smaller K26 cars than on the K28 cars. 270-280 at the wheels is a more reasonable range that you can safely run on these cars without even thinking about it.

'86's can be had quite cheap...but have no ABS and have smaller rear brakes than the rest of them...so if you're after a track car...unless you plan on doing a brake upgrade stay away from the '86 cars.

I think the 944T is a great car...blast to drive, 50/50 weight distribution, car will fit quite a bit of tire underneith it, with suspension setup you can get the car to handle however you like with simple adjustments, 2900-3000 pounds depending on options means that with bolt on's and nearly 300 at the wheels it makes for a pretty fast car.

BUT...I'll add the disclaimer to the end of this...maintenance and parts will cost an arm and a leg. You really need to do timing belts every 30K miles or you're risking expensive engine repairs. If you don't mind the money for upkeep on these cars they're a great way to get into a great driving and looking car.