Just bought a Jeep...

zeitgeist57

Well...more like a "beach beater" Jeep!

http://i13.ebayimg.com/02/i/05/21/5a/85_0.JPG

It's a 1967 Jeep Commando. 4x4, Chevy 4.3L 262ci V6, 4bbl Holley, Mallory ignition, with an automatic (yuk!!! My first automatic ever!!!)

Picked it up off of eBay tonight after talking to the seller over in Coral Gables, FL about 100 mi from my house. Ever since I moved to Naples in August, I've taken my dog to the beach every single weekend, which has put a lot of sand and dirt in my wife's Passat. I'm excited about beating the shit outta this thing with the top down.

If anyone knows anything about these Jeepsters (aside from how goofy they look) please let me know.

• 3 weeks later...

I've got a float problem in the primary bowl (front) on the double-pumper Holley...electric fuel pump keeps pumping, and gas burbles out of the vent tube all over the carb body. Engine runs, but at 2000rpm. It won't idle...too much fuel.

Time for a rebuild???

Guest turbojc
I've got a float problem in the primary bowl (front) on the double-pumper Holley...electric fuel pump keeps pumping, and gas burbles out of the vent tube all over the carb body. Engine runs, but at 2000rpm. It won't idle...too much fuel.

Time for a rebuild???

Swap a TBI on to it and call it a day. The thing will run much better at steep angles with the TBI too.

At least you bought a pre 88' Jeep.

Electric pump should be on if the key is in the start or run position. Can you tell what kind of pump it is? Have a fuel filter instaled anywhere in line? Also, is there a pressure regulator between the pump and the carb?

Next thing to do, adust the float level, see if it is just set wrong. if that dosent get it, pull the bowl, check the neddle seat, make sure there isnt some dirt holding it open. Also check the float, make sure it isnt collapsed or rusted/leaking.

Oh, and if you want, just megasquirt that bitch with a tbi unit. Make sure you get some good weatherproof conectors, salt spray would eat up a poor conection quickly.