Weld backing nut inside frame rail?

martindc1

Weld the nut to a strip of heavy gauge metal long enough to span the distance between the holes. Position the nut and then weld the strip to the frame through the other hole or plug weld the hole in the frame with the strip.

Would you be interested in doing this? I will find out what my options are when the SCCA tech. department gets back to me. If it weren't for the rules I would just drill right up through the frame rail into the trunk and put the backing nut in there. There are two holes in question on each side so I was thinking that I could weld the two nuts to the strip and then fish it up in there and be done with it, so I will see what they say.

I am trying to do my homework before I get started so we could make arrangements. If the SCCA says that I have to weld the nuts to the frame rail like the 99+ cars have them then my guess is that it would not be able to be done with the IRS unit in the car. If the strip idea is allowed then I would probably be able to either bring some measurements or drive the car to you. The earliest I would possibly be doing this though would probably be late November.