It/is Guys

Guest cgotti

If you suspected one of your employers of running a wireless connection off of

the office network how would you go about tracking them down without letting them know what your doing.

I am assuming this is against company rules or something?

Go to where the network connections are, and find the wireless router. :) Or if it is an open wireless connection (which is just plain stupid), then get on there, see that you are on your company's network through there, and report this to the appropriate IT person.

Is it a protected connection or can you associate to it? If you can, then you should be able to 'see' the other computer over the wireless connection. Once you have done that, you can then run (from a command-line):

nbtstat -A <ip address of other computer>

That should return a computer name. If that computer is also on your internal network, it should have the same name. Otherwise, there may be something 'revealing' in the name that you can use to identify that person.

Do you have one switch, many switches, cisco shop? If you have one switch, log into it and get the arp cache, then look at the mac addresses. Are they from your PCs (if you have all dell the mac will probably be the same first 6 digits). Find the funky one and see what is plugged into that port.

There are tons of ways to do this, PM me if you want me to walk you thru it.